BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
altijani
Quartz | Level 8

Hello 

I am using SAS EG to run a prompt, which provides the output I need if I don't add the "CASE" statement. However, I need to use the same prompt to create a new variable that identify the category of the store once flagged. In other words, the prompt will check and see if the store number I entered exist and produce a data called "QUERY_HAVE". I also want the data "QUERY_HAVE" to identify the category that it found this number of the store: whether it was selling, shipping, or billing?

Here is my data

data have;
input year Quarter store_num $ shipping_num $ Billing_num $ sales;
datalines;
2020 1 A1 . A1 520
2020 1 A2 A1 . 15
2020 1 A3 A2 A3 753
2020 2 A1 . A3 662
2020 2 A2 A1 A2 779
2020 3 A1 . A1 895
2020 3 A2 A2 A2 1012
2020 3 A3 A3 A1 1128
2020 4 A2 A1 A3 1245
2020 4 A3 A3 . 1361
;
run;

Here is the code I am using to combine the prompt and the creation of the new variable "Store_Category". The results I am getting is what I would expect for the prompt if I don't add the "CASE" statement. However, when I use the "CASE" statement, then the store category is all blank with no data in it.

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE WORK.QUERY_HAVE AS
SELECT t1.year,
t1.Quarter,
t1.store_num,
t1.shipping_num,
t1.Billing_num,
/* Store_Category */
(Case
When t1.Store_NUM = (%unquote('%_eg_WhereParam( t1.store_num, Stores, IN, TYPE=S, IS_EXPLICIT=0 )')) then 'Selling'
When t1.Shipping_NUM = (%unquote('%_eg_WhereParam( t1.shipping_num, Stores, IN, TYPE=S, IS_EXPLICIT=0 )')) then 'Shipping'
When t1.Billing_NUM = (%unquote('%_eg_WhereParam( t1.Billing_num, Stores, IN, TYPE=S, IS_EXPLICIT=0 )')) then 'Billing'
Else ''
end) AS Store_Category,
t1.sales
FROM WORK.HAVE t1
WHERE %_eg_WhereParam( t1.store_num, Stores, IN, TYPE=S, IS_EXPLICIT=0 ) OR %_eg_WhereParam( t1.shipping_num,
Stores, IN, TYPE=S, IS_EXPLICIT=0 ) OR %_eg_WhereParam( t1.Billing_num, Stores, IN, TYPE=S, IS_EXPLICIT=0 );
QUIT;
3 REPLIES 3
Amir
PROC Star

Hi @altijani,

Have you tried changing the single quotes (') that surround the call to %_eg_WhereParam to double quotes (")?

Thanks & kind regards,

Amir.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Is STORE_NUM a string?  Do the value literally start with a percent sign?  If not then none of your WHEN expressions will ever be true.

The macro processor ignores text in strings bounded on the outside by single quotes.

Try using double quotes.

Turn on MPRINT option to see what SAS code the %_EG_WHEREPARAM() macro generates for your input values.

altijani
Quartz | Level 8

The STORE_NUM is a string that does not start with %

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation