BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xxformat_com
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

I've never been good at estimating how much time I need for a project.

Here is a few recommandations for software developers: https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/39468/how-possible-is-it-to-estimate-time-fo...

But I would be interested to learn from your experience when it comes to SAS projects.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This is a "how long is a length of string" question. It depends on many factors including:

• the programmers' experience
  • how well the requirements are documented and understood
  • the size and complexity of the requirements
  • the rigour, depth and evidence of testing required
  • the time to run the programs being modified
  • the level of team collaboration required
  • the change management processes required
  • the criticality of the changes being made

Personally I find it relatively easy to provide a ballpark estimate based on known factors like those listed. However unexpected issues can always occur, like finding previously unknown errors for example, that can result in scope change. The more experience you have the easier and more accurate it is to estimate the time required. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Experience, experience, experience. Only this will increase the accuracy of your estimates.

In most cases, testing, documentation and the change management process will constitute the major part of the coding task.

ZissLatz
Calcite | Level 5

It is difficult to estimate the time needed for a project without more information. However, there are a few general tips that might be useful for software developers. For example, it is essential to break the project down into smaller tasks and to estimate the time needed for each task. Additionally, it is helpful to keep a realistic estimate of the time required for the project and to allow for some flexibility in the schedule, for I am using a custom project management system integrated with AI that always helps to organize my tasks.

freyafrigohre
Calcite | Level 5

I'd love to hear more about how you've evolved in your approach to project management over the last year!

abyssguard
Calcite | Level 5

I totally get the struggle with estimating time for programming tasks—it's something many of us wrestle with, especially when it comes to complex SAS projects. That Stack Exchange link you shared has some solid recommendations, like breaking tasks down into smaller components to make it easier to estimate the time needed.

abyssguard
Calcite | Level 5

I totally get the struggle with estimating time for programming tasks—it's something many of us wrestle with, especially when it comes to complex SAS projects. That Stack Exchange link you shared has some solid recommendations, like breaking tasks down into smaller components to make it easier to estimate the time needed.

Since the thread is a year old, I'm not sure if you've found a reliable method for time estimation yet, but another thing that really helped me was using the Best IT Asset Management Software. Have you considered that? It helps keep track of software licenses, and hardware and even helps with project management. It not only aids in managing your resources but can also give you better insights into how much time similar tasks have taken in the past."

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 6 in conversation