BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I've 20 datasets in one library. Everyday I'm opening that dataset and used to check the no.of observations and whether the dataset is updated with current timestamp. Those datasets were everyday replaced with new data based on other input datasets. Is there a way to write a program to do this validation and generate the output as follows? Incase if any of those datasets (or all) are not updated with current date then I want the email to trigger. Appericiate if someone of you help me here.

Dataset No_of_obs X_current_date
Employee 12568 6-Dec-18
Marketing 12578 6-Dec-18
Finanace 32568 6-Dec-18
10 REPLIES 10
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
How to retrieve the current date variable which was available in each of
the data set? Value of current date will be same for all the observations
in each of the dataset.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

As has been mentioned several times before, please post test data for all datasets in the form of a datastep - we are not here to do data entry or guess what needs to be done.  Show what should be the output.  Show what code you have written so far.  Post any errors or warnings you might have.

All I would say from what you posted is data _null_ step, setting your base dataset, and generating some statements from that would seem to be the way forward.

Reeza
Super User

@Babloo wrote:
in each of the dataset.

Did you check the sashelp data set? Do you have to use the date variable in the file, or is the creation or modified date ok?

Please go back and mark some of your previous questions as solved, correctly indicating the solution. 

People have taken a lot of time to assist you on here, and acknowledging that would be appropriate. 

ballardw
Super User

@Babloo wrote:
in each of the dataset.

That was not part of your original question.

For example to create a data set with the creation and modified dates of the data set for members of a library:

proc sql;
  create table work.status as
  select libname, memname,crdate, modate, nobs 
  from dictionary.tables
  where libname='WORK' ;
quit;

The LIBNAME is stored in upper case so make sure you use either upcase text or the UPCASE function on the value you use.

You can modify this to only return likely candidates based on either the CRDATE (creation) or MODATE (modified date) values. These variables are datetime so if you wanted the list of members that were modified on or after a given date something like

proc sql;
  select libname, memname,crdate, modate, nobs 
  from dictionary.tables
  where libname='WORK' and datepart(crdate) > '05DEC2018'd;
quit;

If your "current date" variable is prior to the date of creation or modification there might be an issue to investigate in the assignment of that variable.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I ran the code as below and could see the missing values for the variables crdate, modate,nobs. Could this be due DB2 tables registered in SAS?

proc sql;
  select *
  from dictionary.tables
  where libname='DB2CRFS' ;
quit;

Sample output:

libname memname memtype dbms_memtype memlabel typemem crdate modate nobs
DB2CRFS DEMSY_CODETABLES DATA TABLE   DATA . . .
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I tried the following code as well but stil not seeing the values for crdate, modate and nobs.

proc sql noprint;
	connect to db2 (datasrc=db2gtu
		authdomain=DB2AuthODS 
		connection=global);
		select *
			from dictionary.tables
				where libname='DB2CRFS';
	disconnect from db2;
quit;
Reeza
Super User
That’s because you don’t have SAS datasets. You have data on a server which is very very different. Post on the appropriate server forum instead.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Extract the data to SAS, then run that code.  Or alternatively passthrough some SQL code to the database which gets the information required and then returns it, maybe something like:

proc sql;
  connect to db2 (...);
  select * from connection to db2 (
    select * from dictionary.tables);
  disconnect from db2;
quit;
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

Please try sashelp.vtable in a data step as below , check the screen shot

so if you test this code you will get a dataset want with the variables displayed which should help you.

for your requirement change the library and keep the required variables.

data want;
set sashelp.vtable;
where libname='SDTM';
run;

image.png

Thanks,
Jag

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation