BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
amarkaur
Calcite | Level 5

I need to run sas profile on a table with Employee names, addresses, SSN , sex etc.

what procedures can I use?

used FREQ, will only give me frequency and I want to min and max as well.

Means/Summary can give me mean of observation with missing data but since these are character fields what other procedure can be used and waht are the benefits?

Thanks,

Amar

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

@amarkaur wrote:

I need to run sas profile on a table with Employee names, addresses, SSN , sex etc.

what procedures can I use?

used FREQ, will only give me frequency and I want to min and max as well.

Means/Summary can give me mean of observation with missing data but since these are character fields what other procedure can be used and waht are the benefits?

Thanks,

Amar

I suggest providing some example data and what the result should look like after "profiling".

I do not see where min and max of name, address, ssn, sex make sense. Do you mean something related to the min count??

I am very sure I do not follow what "mean of observation with missing data" is supposed to be as the mean of missing is missing.

amarkaur
Calcite | Level 5

Example for Name, addresses , Zip , Sex 

Using IDQ tool when I profile table for each field,  I get how many unique values, how many missing/null values, minimum value, maximum value for that field (length), datatype etc.

Can I get similar results using any SAS procedure.

Using proc freq, I do get the frequency and counts of missing values.

Thanks,

Amar 

Reeza
Super User
Characterize Data task in EG or SAS Studio does that.
Reeza
Super User
SAS EG and Studio have a characterize data task that will analyse the data.
However, conceptually, the minimum and maximum from character variables are not informative on their own. You can get missing reports from PROC FREQ partly using the NLEVELS options. That's fairly well documented on here though.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation