BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
srinidelite
Obsidian | Level 7

I Have few Test Cases all of them run using Proc sql and one key thing i have noticed that the variable / column value always set to  4000 bytes automatically but is there a way to dymically assign based on the values ? for each dataset .

Because  dataset1  value might enough with  30 bytes but datset2 value might not be enough with  30 bytes .. so i need to tell the sas to allocate the memory (lenght ) based the data it process !

Is there anyway i can do it ? experts pls help me out 

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Satish_Parida
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You can use a Macro to pass the lengths to the columns during table creation

%macro creation(var1=, var2=);

proc sql;

create table testcase (

var1 char(&var1.),

var2 char(&var2.)

);

quit;

%mend;

%creation(var1=12, var2=8);

srinidelite
Obsidian | Level 7

It doesn't work for me 

Satish_Parida
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have made a small change, if you see any error, please post the log

%macro creation(Value);

Proc Sql;
        Create table Target as 
            select 
                t2.NUM,
                t2.ID,
                t2.NCEID,
                t4.POLOBJECTID,
                t3.PRODUCTVERSIONOBJECTID,
                t4.EXTERNALIDENTIFIER as ExternalID,
                t4.Value as Value  length = &Value.                     *Change;
            from  &wrkschema.. lkp_policyinstance t2
                inner join &tgtschema.. INS t3
                    on t2.rpinstid  = t3.POLICYINSTANCEID     and t2.cdnumpol  =  '002011216756'
                inner join &tgtschema.. POLOBJt4
                    on t3.identifier = t4.POLINOBJ
                Where t4.externalidentifier =  &extrniden. and t3.CHECK= &objMotorbike.
        ;
    quit;

%mend;

%creation(Value=40);
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I assume this is the length set at the database end?  You can use compress dataset options:

https://support.sas.com/rnd/base/datastep/compression.html

This is the simplest and comrpess the dataset, so it does not matter how long the lengths are.  

However if you want to get more complicated - i.e. more programming, harder to maintain, less robust, then you need to code it in your self.  First ascertain the max length of each variable, then use that information to reset the lengths, or generate the SQL code to set the lengths.  You don't really save anything doing it this way either.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation