BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kpberger
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all. Can proc power do calculations for case-control studies with a continuous exposure? I haven't found any examples online. There doesn't seem to be a place where you tell the program what kind of study you have. Does anyone know? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

The syntax for proc power except for the Plot statement, basically does use the 'study you have'. Look at the names of the statements:

Coxreg

logistic

multreg

onecorr

onesamplefreq

Cox regression, logistic regression , multiple regression, simple and partial Pearson correlation, single proportion and so forth.

What exact test will you be performing on the data?

You may have to provide more details on how "continuous exposure" is involved.

kpberger
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply. I don't see how the types of analysis correspond to study designs. For example, you can use a logistic regression in a case-control or cohort study. I would like to find the min and max ORs my case-control study has the power to detect with a logistic regression. I can't see how to do that though, so I wrote code to get the N needed:

proc power; logistic alpha=0.05 power=0.80 ntotal=. vardist("exposure")=normal(2,13) testpredictor="exposure" testregcoeff=-0.0896 intercept=-0.0725;
run;

It says I need 36 people so something isn't right... The regression coefficient and intercept are from a logistic regression in the study - this is a post hoc calculation requested by a reviewer. Nowhere in this code though have I put in the number of controls per case (1:1 here) which I would think it would need.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation