BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fostet85
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

I'm using SAS 9. I am replicating a paper, and I am trying to show that my results are comparable to the results in the paper with a side-by-side table. See picture below for an example. In the example, my results would be the "Our Replication" section and the results I'm referencing would go into the "Cooper and Boynton (2004)" section. 

My question is - is it possible to append columns with hard-coded numbers to a table using proc tabulate? Is there a better way to do this?

Screenshot (34).png

Code for the portion of the table displaying my results:

PROC FORMAT;
  VALUE  lossfirm 0="Non-Loss Firm"
                1="Loss Firm" ;
RUN;

proc tabulate data=x1;
title 'Replication';
class lossfirm;
var at ti ni;
table at='Total Assets ($millions)'*(N*F=COMMA.0 MEAN*F=COMMA.0) ti='Taxable Income ($millions)'*(MEAN*F=COMMA.0) ni='Net Income ($millions)'*(MEAN*F=COMMA.0) ,
(lossfirm='' ALL='All Firms') ;
FORMAT lossfirm lossfirm.;
run;

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
Proc Tabulate only takes a single data set as a source so you have to make it into one table first somehow.
You could add that data to your current input table as a separate "firm" but with the idea that the mean of 1 value is itself so that may work.

Another way is to pipe your proc tabulate output to a data set using the OUT=option, merge that with the pre-calculated data and then use PROC REPORT to display it as desired.
mkeintz
PROC Star

You can construct synthetic data that would produce the Cooper/Boynton statistics.   Adding a new variable STUDY (= 'Cooper and Boynton (2004)' or 'Our Replication') and using STUDY as a new class variable, should do the trick:

data combined (drop=i _:);
  set x1 end=end_of_x1;
  retain study "Our Replication        ";
  output;
  if end_of_x1;
  infile datalines;
  study='Cooper and boynton (2004)';
  input lossfirm _n at ti ni    _nall _atall _tiall _niall ;
  do i=1 to _n; 
    output;      ** Output loss firms **;
  end; 
  /* ******** Gen at,ti,ni (x) for non-loss firms   ****** */
  /* We know that  _nall*_atall =   _n*at + (_nall-_n)*x   */
  /*  ==>   (_nall-_n)*x   = _nall*_atall - _n*at          */
  /*  ==>   x = (_nall*_atall - _n*at)/(_nall-_n)          */
  at = (_nall*_atall - _b*at)/(_nall-_n);
  ti = (_nall*_tiall - _b*ti)/(_nall-_n);
  ni = (_nall*_niall - _b*ni)/(_nall-_n);
  do i=1 to (_nall-_n);
    output;
  end;
datalines;
1  9088  4303409 -159907 -159107  27384 26100649 442705 322621 ;
run;

What I don't understand is how you got tabulate to drop the non-loss firm columns.  But ignoring that, notice how the program imputes the values for the non-loss firms that would replicate the values for ALL firms.

You should be able to apply proc tabulate to the COMBINED data set.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
ballardw
Super User

You may be better off summarizing the data. Then use Proc Report for display.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation