BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
broth38
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a SAS program that loops through a CSV file and dynamically creates a SQL statement (well over 1000 characters). I have a macro variable that contains the SQL statement and I can %PUT the entire statement to the log, but I have not found a method to run this statement in a Proc SQL. The variable truncates. I have tried to piece together %substr of the macro variable, but the execution always evaluates them individually. Is there a method/workaround to run my lengthy dynamic SQL statement?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Urban_Science
Quartz | Level 8

Basically, the string in CALL EXECUTE should be a valid SAS statement that you could copy, paste, and run as is.  In your case it should have "PROC SQL;" in the front and "QUIT;" at the end of the string.  I think the only thing I would change in your code is to add a little something at the end.

retain strSQL;
if last then do;
   strSQL = cat("PROC SQL; ", StrSQL, "QUIT;");
   CALL EXECUTE(strSQL);
end;
run;

This way it only executes it when it reaches the end of the csv.  You could also throw "output;" in there so you can see the table with only the last row (to inspect the generated SQL string). 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

As always, show us.

WE need to see the SASLOG (run with OPTIONS MPRINT; turned on).

We need to see the results of the %PUT statement.

And we need to see anything else that might be relevant here (you figure out what is relevant, we don't know because we are not in your situation).

--
Paige Miller
Urban_Science
Quartz | Level 8

One idea would be to use CALL EXECUTE in a data step and that way you do not need to even worry about the macro world.

broth38
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated.

data SQL_Lines;
infile 'SQL_Dimensions_Test1.csv' dlm=',' dsd truncover firstobs=2 end=last;
input ReportNo $ VarName $ ProvName $ RowLabel $ Map1 $ Map1_Oper1 $ Map1_Oper2 $ Map1_Value1 $ Map1_Value2 $ Map2 $ Map2_Oper1 $ Map2_Oper2 $Map2_Value1 $ Map2_Value2 $ Map1_NS $ Map2_NS $;

length strSQL $10000;

strSQL = strip(strSQL) || " AND "...

retain strSQL;

run;

Once the strSQL SQL statement has been assembed, what would be the Call Execute syntax to successfully run the SQL statement?

Thanks!

Urban_Science
Quartz | Level 8

Basically, the string in CALL EXECUTE should be a valid SAS statement that you could copy, paste, and run as is.  In your case it should have "PROC SQL;" in the front and "QUIT;" at the end of the string.  I think the only thing I would change in your code is to add a little something at the end.

retain strSQL;
if last then do;
   strSQL = cat("PROC SQL; ", StrSQL, "QUIT;");
   CALL EXECUTE(strSQL);
end;
run;

This way it only executes it when it reaches the end of the csv.  You could also throw "output;" in there so you can see the table with only the last row (to inspect the generated SQL string). 

broth38
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much. That worked great! Very much appreciated.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Wait ... you are using SQL language in the macro variable, but you want to use it inside of a data step?

This will always fail. You can only use data step language inside a data step.

But I did ask to see the SASLOG run with OPTIONS MPRINT turned on, this has not been provided. I did ask to see the entire results of the %PUT command, this has not been provided.

--
Paige Miller
Urban_Science
Quartz | Level 8

I believe that @broth38 has an existing process that was creating SQL statements from a csv, but couldn't figure out how to run them once created.  Judging by the input statement in the reply, the csv might list out different variable transformations/equations to be dynamically created. 

For example:

data have;
   length statement $ 1000;
   statement = "create table want as";
   output;

statement = "select";
   output;

statement = "*";
   output;

statement = "from have2;";
   output;
run;

data want;
   set have end=last;
   retain sqlStr;
   length SqlStr $10000;

sqlStr = catx(" ", sqlString, statement);

if last then do;
      sqlStr = catx(" ", "PROC SQL;", StrSQL, "QUIT;");
      output;
   end;
run;

data _NULL_;
set want;
call execute(sqlStr);
run;

The have dataset is where the SQL strings are being created (I can't ever get datalines to work right the first time which is why there is a bunch of output statements in there).  The want dataset is where SAS puts together the SQL string to be ran.  The data _NULL_ step is when that SQL code is ran (I broke it out into a separate step from my previous reply).

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation