BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ojaro
SAS Employee

Hi all,

I am trying to use count in proc sql in order to calculate some averages, please see my code below.

The issue seems to be that proc sql returns numeric value, if the count is larger than zero and a missing value if the count is zero, so I tried to add some if statements to ensure that the averate value is zero, if the count values are missing.

Any ideas what is wrong with my approach. Code no longer throws errors due to missing values, but neither does it calculate any averages, so all my averages are currently showing as zeros.

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Olli

proc sql /* noprint */;
    SELECT COUNT(complaint_id)
    into :all_complaints
    FROM pg.complaint
	WHERE complaint_date >= "&r_start"d
	AND complaint_date < "&r_end"d;
quit;

proc sql /* noprint */;
    SELECT count(distinct(officer_id))
    into :all_officers
    FROM pg.complaint
	WHERE complaint_date >= "&r_start"d
	AND complaint_date < "&r_end"d;
quit;

%let complaint_avg=0;
data _NULL_;
	if not missing(&all_officers) and not missing(&all_complaints) then call symput('complaint_avg',&all_complaints/&all_officers);
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This method of computing an average involves a lot of unnecessary work. And, there's absolutely no reason to store counts in macro variables so then you can create an average from those macro variable values.

UNTESTED CODE

proc sql;
    create table want as count(complaint_id)/count(distinct officer_id) as avg
    from pg.complaint
    where ...
;
quit;

I am also concerned that your average is biased, since officers with zero complaints will not be included in the denominator.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This method of computing an average involves a lot of unnecessary work. And, there's absolutely no reason to store counts in macro variables so then you can create an average from those macro variable values.

UNTESTED CODE

proc sql;
    create table want as count(complaint_id)/count(distinct officer_id) as avg
    from pg.complaint
    where ...
;
quit;

I am also concerned that your average is biased, since officers with zero complaints will not be included in the denominator.

--
Paige Miller
ojaro
SAS Employee
Thanks so much!! That got me around the issue and also simplified my code massively 🙂
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You're welcome, @ojaro.

Please consider my comment earlier about how the average computed this way is biased because officers with zero complaints are not included in the denominator.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation