BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DougHold
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm trying to practice with Proc Report, using the SAShelp class data here.

I would like to get counts and proportions (%) of the 'short' people, for subgroups by sex and age. This is the desired output:

SexAgesubgroup_totalcount_shortprop_short
F1111100.0
M1111100.0

Here's what I tried, I thought something like this might work for the count, but it doesn't seem to:

DATA Class_height;
	SET sashelp.class;
	IF Height < 60                         THEN Ht_category = 'short'; 					          
	ELSE IF Height => 60 AND Height < 65   THEN Ht_category = 'med';     
	                                       ELSE Ht_category = 'tall';
RUN;

PROC REPORT DATA = Class_height;
	COLUMN Sex Age Weight=n Ht_category=n1 Prop_short;
	DEFINE Sex      / group;
	DEFINE Age      / group;
	DEFINE n        / n 'subgroup_total'; 

DEFINE n1       / computed 'count_short';
		COMPUTE n1; 
			IF Ht_category = 'short' THEN count+1;
			n1 = count; 
		ENDCOMP; 

DEFINE Prop_short / computed 'prop_short' format=4.1;
		COMPUTE Prop_short; 
			Prop_short = n1/n*100;                                      
		ENDCOMP; 
RUN;

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

When I use Proc Report and want interesting values, especially percents, I usually do some calculation prior to the report so that I know what denominators are used. Getting column summaries to use in other summaries generally takes me too much time.

An example that creates a 1/0 coded value for characteristic of interest and then uses SUM to get the number of 1's and MEAN as percent of 1's, using a percent format to display

DATA Class_height;
	SET sashelp.class;
   short = (height < 60);

RUN;

COLUMN Sex Age Weight=n  short short=shortpct;
	DEFINE Sex      / group;
	DEFINE Age      / group;
   define short /  sum 'Short Count';
   define shortpct /format=percent8.1 mean 'Percent short';

RUN;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

When I use Proc Report and want interesting values, especially percents, I usually do some calculation prior to the report so that I know what denominators are used. Getting column summaries to use in other summaries generally takes me too much time.

An example that creates a 1/0 coded value for characteristic of interest and then uses SUM to get the number of 1's and MEAN as percent of 1's, using a percent format to display

DATA Class_height;
	SET sashelp.class;
   short = (height < 60);

RUN;

COLUMN Sex Age Weight=n  short short=shortpct;
	DEFINE Sex      / group;
	DEFINE Age      / group;
   define short /  sum 'Short Count';
   define shortpct /format=percent8.1 mean 'Percent short';

RUN;

DougHold
Obsidian | Level 7

@ballardw wrote:

1/0 coded value for characteristic of interest and then uses SUM to get the number of 1's and MEAN as percent of 1's, using a percent format to display

Thank you, this is excellent. Having a column for each category as a binary outcome (0/1) is a much better approach. I don't why in my head I was overcomplicating XD. I updated my code accordingly so it now also shows the 3 categories (short, medium, tall). Hopefully it will help others who come across this in the future.

DATA Class_height;
     SET sashelp.class;
     short = (height < 60);
medium = (60 <= height < 65); tall = (height => 65); RUN; PROC REPORT DATA = Class_height; COLUMN Sex Age Weight=n short short=shortpct medium medium=mediumpct tall tall=tallpct ; DEFINE Sex / group; DEFINE Age / group; DEFINE n / n 'Subgroup Total'; DEFINE short / sum 'Short Count'; DEFINE shortpct / format=percent8.1 mean 'Short %'; DEFINE medium / sum 'Medium Count'; DEFINE mediumpct / format=percent8.1 mean 'Medium %'; DEFINE tall / sum 'Tall Count'; DEFINE tallpct / format=percent8.1 mean 'Tall %'; RUN;
Sex Age Subgroup Total Short Count Short % Medium Count Medium % Tall Count Tall %
F 11 1 1 100.0% 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
  12 2 2 100.0% 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
  13 2 1 50.0% 0 0.0% 1 50.0%
  14 2 0 0.0% 2 100.0% 0 0.0%
  15 2 0 0.0% 1 50.0% 1 50.0%
M 11 1 1 100.0% 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
  12 3 2 66.7% 1 33.3% 0 0.0%
  13 1 0 0.0% 1 100.0% 0 0.0%
  14 2 0 0.0% 1 50.0% 1 50.0%
  15 2 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 2 100.0%
  16 1 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 1 100.0%
ballardw
Super User

And another way to get a similar report with a different procedure:

proc format;
value ht
low - < 60='Short'
60 -  < 65='Medium'
65 - high ='Tall';
run;
proc tabulate data=sashelp.class;
   class sex age height;
   format height ht.;
   tables sex*age,
          n='Group count' height*(n='count' rowpctn='percent')
          /misstext=' '
   ;
run;

Tabulate may have a few more options for denominators with row, col, page and report. and use of n (categorical or class variables) or Sum (of Var variables not used). Note that the use a format makes the code pretty flexible, change the format definition used and change the report categories. What Tabulate will not due generally is allow use of results of other statistics to be used in calculation (no COMPUTE BLOCK), character variables may only be class and on the row or column heading and different places for things like labels and style overrides.

Tabulate is, at least in my opinion, easier to deal with nested column headings. It also will create multiple tables with one pass of the procedure:

DougHold
Obsidian | Level 7
This works well too, thanks!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation