BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
biglerc
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to Proc Report and am struggling with a requirement.  I am using ODS to output a dataset to Excel, and I need to conditionally format a cell based on the value of another variable. (My code is below).

Requirement:  If the value of visnd = 1 then the FU30DALD variable should be grey for that row.  The whole row shouldn't be grey, just that cell under FU30DALD.

My dataset contains all the variables I am referencing in the compute block.

I have this error in my log: 

"ERROR: Invalid column specification in CALL DEFINE" with  "NOTE: Argument 1 to function DEFINE(' '[12 of 100 characters shown],'style','style={backg'[12 of 27 characters shown]) at line 2 column 7 is invalid."

Any guidance is appreciated!

Current code:

proc report data=final nowd headline headskip spacing=3 split='|' missing ls=256 ps=42 ;

column dummy1 _all_ ;

define dummy1 / noprint;
define FU30DALD / display;
define visnd / display;

*if FU30 not done then grey out the FU30DALD cell;
compute dummy1;
     if (visnd = 1) then do;
          call define (FU30DALD,'style','style={background=lightgray}');
     end;
endcomp;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
You need to add quotes to the variable name.

call define ("FU30DALD",'style','style={background=lightgray}');

If you're using a standard reference, like _col_, _row_ then you need to not include the quotes.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Does your variable FU30DALD ever have the value "12 of 100 characters shown" or have a format that would show that?

From the documentation:

CALL DEFINE (column-id | _ROW_, < ' attribute-name', value>

Required Arguments

column-id

specifies a column name or a column number (that is, the position of the column from the left edge of the report). A column ID can be one of the following:

• a character literal (in quotation marks) that is the column name
  • a character expression that resolves to the column name
  • a numeric literal that is the column number
  • a numeric expression that resolves to the column number
  • a name of the form '_Cn_', where n is the column number
  • the automatic variable _COL_, which identifies the column that contains the report item that the compute block is attached to
biglerc
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello! Thank you for looking at my question! No, the values in the variable FU30DALD are dates in character format ($10), such as '2018-01-26'.
Reeza
Super User
You need to add quotes to the variable name.

call define ("FU30DALD",'style','style={background=lightgray}');

If you're using a standard reference, like _col_, _row_ then you need to not include the quotes.
biglerc
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks, Reeza! The errors are gone in my log now. However, the color coding is not being applied. If you have any other ideas, I'm open to tring anything 🙂
Reeza
Super User
Use square brackets instead of curly?
Try changing which variable you use in COMPUTE statement as well - there's an order of operations so try COMPUTE FU30ALDUD instead of COMPUTE DUMMY1.

Sorry, I have nothing to test this with....
biglerc
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you! I understand the limitations of your being able to troubleshoot this. I appreciate the suggestions!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation