BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I'm trying to clean up a table that I created using PROC FREQ. Essentially I want to create separate datasets by the defined type, but the type options change with each run.

I'm trying to avoid listing every type:

If Type="Reading" then output x;

If Type="Writing, Speaking, And Listening" then output x1;

etc because depending on the run, the type would change.

For example:

2019-05-02_13-27-59.jpg

I'd want the yellow highlighted part to be a dataset, and the green to be another. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

If your rate represents a score or something that you want to create a row per value and you have multiple values of type with the same rate then this may be one way:

proc tabulate data=have;
   class rate type;
   table rate, 
         type*(n='count' colpctn rowpctn pctn)
   ;
run;

Tabulate will do different percentages like proc freq will with a tables involving var1*var2, which one depends on whether you want the overall (pctn), percentage within the row grouping (rowpctn) or the column (colpctn).

Some actual data, in the form of a data step, might get us further. So far your limited example would have counts of 1 for every combination of rate and type.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

If your problem is as simple as you describe then this code will do 🙂

data x x1;
   set have;
   if type in ('Reading') then output x;
   if type in ('Writing', 'Speaking', 'Listening') then output x1;
run;
NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, but I was trying to avoid having to list out the types though, because it changes. I'm looking for a way to automate it more.

ballardw
Super User

Can you tell us  how you will use those multiple data sets?

A great many times the additional data sets just create more work later.

NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

Oh, good point!

I was hoping to make a table going out by type, not down. So right now, it's in this format:

TypeRateCountPercent
Reading   
Reading   
Reading   
Reading   
Writing, Speaking, And Listening   

But I wanted to change it to this:

RateReading CountReading PercentWriting, Speaking, And Listening CountWriting, Speaking, And Listening Percent

The only way I know how to do it is by separating out by type and merging it back by rate.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

There are several procedures that will do what you want. However, the bigger issue is that you have unique values on every row for rate, so even if you summarized to get the count and the percent, you'd only have a 1 for every rate. So I'm not entirely clear on what you want, since your example of desire output only showed header information and there were no numbers in the cells to link back to your example of data.

Cynthia

NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

This is just a snapshot of the data, as I'm not able to post actual full data. There are about 30 different types (beyond what's listed), all with a range of 1 to 105. The actual data has repeated rates, so the merge would be exactly what I need. My only thought was to have a more automated way of separating a large dataset, into subsets and merging them back together by rate. I'm hoping to find a way to do this, without listing each of the different type categories, because they're not static with each run. (i.e. If I run is on test x, the types are reading, writing. If I run it on test y, the types are reading, math, english.)

Hopefully this clears it up a bit:

I need to change this:

TypeRateCountPercent
Reading110 
Reading511 
Reading812 
Reading10513 
Writing, Speaking, And Listening110 
Writing, Speaking, And Listening211 
Writing, Speaking, And Listening812 
Writing, Speaking, And Listening10513 

To this:

RateReading CountReading PercentWriting, Speaking, And Listening CountWriting, Speaking, And Listening Percent
110 10 
2. 11 
511 . 
812 12 
10513 13 

ballardw
Super User

If your rate represents a score or something that you want to create a row per value and you have multiple values of type with the same rate then this may be one way:

proc tabulate data=have;
   class rate type;
   table rate, 
         type*(n='count' colpctn rowpctn pctn)
   ;
run;

Tabulate will do different percentages like proc freq will with a tables involving var1*var2, which one depends on whether you want the overall (pctn), percentage within the row grouping (rowpctn) or the column (colpctn).

Some actual data, in the form of a data step, might get us further. So far your limited example would have counts of 1 for every combination of rate and type.

NR13
Fluorite | Level 6

This is even better than I was hoping for!! Thank you so much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation