BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sg16773
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have multiple sas datsets(~30) present in a directory and need to convert all these into text files.  I am using the code below for same:

=====================================================

LIBNAME Test "D:\";

%MACRO Convert2CSV(Libname);

DATA MEMBERS;
SET SASHELP.VMEMBER(WHERE=(LIBNAME = "&Libname"));

RETAIN OBS 0;
OBS = OBS+1;

KEEP MEMNAME OBS;

RUN;

PROC SQL;
SELECT MIN(OBS) INTO :MIN
FROM MEMBERS;
QUIT;

PROC SQL;
SELECT MAX(OBS) INTO :MAX
FROM MEMBERS;
QUIT;

%Local D;

%DO D = &MIN %TO &MAX;

PROC SQL;

SELECT COMPRESS(MEMNAME) INTO: Table
FROM MEMBERS
WHERE OBS=&D;

QUIT;

PROC EXPORT DATA=&Libname..&Table DBMS=dlm replace
OUTFILE="D:\_today\&Table..txt";
delimiter="|";
RUN;

%END;

%MEND;

%Convert2CSV(TEST);

==================================================================

Note: I have leveraged this code from (https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Export-multiple-tables-from-SAS-to-csv/td-p/27090)

Issue: The generated text files have spaces in the name. For eg: 'myfile.sas7bat' gets converted to 'myfile    .txt'

Just a hunch but I think the generated filenames are of fixed length. Therefore to meet the length, SAS is introducing spaces. How do avoid this?

Ask: I need help in removing the spaces from the generated file name. I have tried using the Trim function but it doesn't seems to be working.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I forgot to add the libname in my call execute. Expand the call execute like this.

call execute("
  proc export
    data=test." || strip(memname) || "
    dbms=dlm
    replace
    outfile='D:\_today\" || strip(lowcase(memname)) || ".txt'
  ;
  delimiter='|';
  run;
";

Note that I also changed the usage of single and double quotes, to facilitate the use of a macro variable/parameter if you later want to wrap the whole data step into a macro definition for easier reuse.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Why don't you just do it in one data step that creates the exports with call execute?

data _null_;
set sashelp.vmember (where=(libname = "TEST"));
call execute('
  proc export
    data=' || strip(memname) || '
    dbms=dlm
    replace
    outfile="D:\_today\' || strip(lowcase(memname)) || '.txt"
  ;
  delimiter="|";
  run;
';
run;
sg16773
Calcite | Level 5

Hi KurtBremser,

Thanks for your response. I tried the code you suggested but I am getting the following error(screenshot below). May be the code is not able to search the dataset in the defined library("TEST").  

Apologies for the silly questions but I am very new to SAS and trying to learn the language.

Capture.PNG

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I forgot to add the libname in my call execute. Expand the call execute like this.

call execute("
  proc export
    data=test." || strip(memname) || "
    dbms=dlm
    replace
    outfile='D:\_today\" || strip(lowcase(memname)) || ".txt'
  ;
  delimiter='|';
  run;
";

Note that I also changed the usage of single and double quotes, to facilitate the use of a macro variable/parameter if you later want to wrap the whole data step into a macro definition for easier reuse.

sg16773
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks KurtBremser!

This did the trick 🙂

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation