BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Emoji
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Everyone

I am trying to run the following macro. The macro itself is working fine; however, there is an error when SAS executes DATE = &QUARTER_DAY_START TO &QUARTER_DAY_END; if I remove the "IF"  and run the code, the log will be (at end of the code)

%MACRO AN_COST();
%LOCAL LOOP;
%LET LOOP = 1;

%DO %WHILE (&LOOP <= 4);
%LET DAYS= %EVAL( %SYSFUNC(INTNX(QTR,'01JAN2022'D, (&LOOP-1), E))-%SYSFUNC(INTNX(QTR,'01JAN2022'D, (&LOOP-1), B)) + 1);
%LET QUARTER_DAY_START = %SYSFUNC(DEQUOTE(" '%SYSFUNC(INTNX(MONTH, '01JAN2022'D, (&LOOP-1)*3, B), DATE11.)' "));
%LET QUARTER_DAY_END = %SYSFUNC(DEQUOTE(" '%SYSFUNC(INTNX(MONTH, '01JAN2022'D, ((&LOOP-1)*3)+ 2, E), DATE11.)' "));
%PUT &=DAYS;
%PUT &=QUARTER_DAY_START;
%PUT &=QUARTER_DAY_END;

DATA WORK.MY_NEW_TABLE;
SET WORK.MY_OLD_TABLE;

%IF MARKET = XXX %THEN
%DO;
DATE = &QUARTER_DAY_START TO &QUARTER_DAY_END;
OUTPUT;
%END;
RUN;

%LET LOOP=%SYSEVALF(&LOOP+1);
%END;
%MEND;

LOG:

13 DATE = &QUARTER_DAY_START TO QUARTER_DAY_END;
__
ERROR 388-185: Expecting an arithmetic operator.

ERROR 202-322: The option or parameter is not recognized and will be ignored.

17 REPLIES 17
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
%IF MARKET = XXX %THEN /* this condition can never be true; the string MARKET is not equal to the string XXX */
%DO;
DATE = &QUARTER_DAY_START TO &QUARTER_DAY_END; /* this is an invalid data step statement, TO is not a numeric operator */ */
OUTPUT;
%END;

But why are you still doing this stupidity:

%LET QUARTER_DAY_START = %SYSFUNC(DEQUOTE(" '%SYSFUNC(INTNX(MONTH, '01JAN2022'D, (&LOOP-1)*3, B), DATE11.)' "));
%LET QUARTER_DAY_END = %SYSFUNC(DEQUOTE(" '%SYSFUNC(INTNX(MONTH, '01JAN2022'D, ((&LOOP-1)*3)+ 2, E), DATE11.)' "));

???

I have already shown you how to store dates in macro variable for later use in code.

Emoji
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for the reply. Please be advised that if I manually enter the date as follows, the code will work without any issues:
if Market = 'MARKET_2022' then do Date = '01-JAN-2022'd to '31-MAR-2022'd;
ballardw
Super User

@Emoji wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Please be advised that if I manually enter the date as follows, the code will work without any issues:

The code generated by your macro does not look like that. Use the Options MPRINT to confirm that.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Emoji wrote:

This is a DATA STEP IF statement. What you posted previously was a MACRO %IF statement.

ballardw
Super User

Post log in a text box opened with the </> icon at the top of the message window. Then the _ character will appear under the text that SAS says causes the syntax error.

As we mentioned in your previous post about INTNX formatted text values of dates are not actual date values and cannot be used in assignments or comparisons without extra work.

You are asking for something like

date = 01-JAN-2022 to 31-MAR-2022;

You do not have a data step DO loop but mix bits from what should be : Do date= <start value> to <end value>;

as %do; <macro instruction>

date = 01-JAN-2022 to 31-MAR-2022; 

%end;

which is not a valid assignment statement for multiple reasons and not valid loop code either. You have to keep macro statements, %do / %end and data step statements do/end separate and know when you want which.

Did you have a working data step for a loop of dates before you began this? Look closely at it. If not, make sure you have one that works for a set of values and then compare with the code in your macro.

To debug your macro code as it generates run: Options Mprint; before running your macro. It will show the statements generated. If you have Logic issues in the macro include Mlogic and if you have creation / resolution of macro variables add Symbolgen to the options statement.

Reeza
Super User

This is a flaw in logic and you're mixing macro and data step logic. 

Market is a variable in your data set it seems and macro IF statement code will not access the variable. 

What are you trying to do overall? Add records?

FYI - I actually doubt you need macro logic anywhere in this code but if you show a small example of what you're trying to accomplish we can help you simplify your code. 

EDIT: Isn't that the wrong code as well from an earlier post for your macro variable creation?

Spoiler

@Emoji wrote:

Hello Everyone

I am trying to run the following macro. The macro itself is working fine; however, there is an error when SAS executes DATE = &QUARTER_DAY_START TO &QUARTER_DAY_END; if I remove the "IF"  and run the code, the log will be (at end of the code)

%MACRO AN_COST();
%LOCAL LOOP;
%LET LOOP = 1;

%DO %WHILE (&LOOP <= 4);
%LET DAYS= %EVAL( %SYSFUNC(INTNX(QTR,'01JAN2022'D, (&LOOP-1), E))-%SYSFUNC(INTNX(QTR,'01JAN2022'D, (&LOOP-1), B)) + 1);
%PUT &=DAYS;
%PUT &=QUARTER_DAY_START;
%PUT &=QUARTER_DAY_END;

DATA WORK.MY_NEW_TABLE;
SET WORK.MY_OLD_TABLE;

%IF MARKET = XXX %THEN
%DO;
OUTPUT;
%END;
RUN;

%END;
%MEND;

LOG:

13 DATE = &QUARTER_DAY_START TO QUARTER_DAY_END;
__
ERROR 388-185: Expecting an arithmetic operator.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Here is one obvious mistake:

%IF MARKET = XXX %THEN %DO;

The string MARKET is NEVER going to equal the string XXX.  It cannot happen.

Emoji
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for the reply. Let's forget about this equality constraints as I wrote to simplify my code for representation here. In my actual code, variable Market has different values.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Emoji wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Let's forget about this equality constraints as I wrote to simplify my code for representation here. In my actual code, variable Market has different values.

But the macro %IF does not work with data step variables, it only "sees" text. It creates code before the data step is even compiled.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Here is an obvious over complication:

%LET LOOP = 1;
%DO %WHILE (&LOOP <= 4);
%END;

If you want LOOP to iterate from from 1 to 4 just say that.

%DO LOOP=1 %to 4 ;
%END;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are you just trying to do this?

DATA WORK.MY_NEW_TABLE;
  SET WORK.MY_OLD_TABLE;
  if market = xxx then do qtr=1 to 4;
    do date = intnx('qtr','01jan2022'd,qtr-1,'b') to intnx('qtr','01jan2022'd,qtr-1,'e');
      OUTPUT;
    end;
  end;
RUN;

What are the variables MARKET and XXX?  Why does it matter whether they are equal or not?  Do you need to attach a format to the DATE variable?  Is it a NEW variable or did it already exist in MY_OLD_TABLE?

Emoji
Fluorite | Level 6

Variable Market is a variable (string) from Work.my_old_table. By using Market = XXX, I was trying to say that the when String market is XXX (in reality it is something like 'market_data', the rest of the code should be executed.

I ran the code that you shared and got the following error:

49 date = intnx('qtr','01jan2022'd,qtr-1,'b') to intnx('qtr','01jan2022'd,qtr-1,'e');
__
2 The SAS System 06:13 Tuesday, December 13, 2022

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, *, **, +, -, /, ;, <, <=, <>, =, >, ><, >=, AND, EQ, GE, GT,
IN, LE, LT, MAX, MIN, NE, NG, NL, NOT, NOTIN, OR, ^, ^=, |, ||, ~, ~=.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I believe you get the error because of a missing DO statement.

Patrick_0-1672798906254.png

If I understand right what you're after then both of below two options should work.

Option 1:

data test;
  format date date9.;
  do qtr=1 to 4;
    do date = intnx('qtr','01jan2022'd,qtr-1,'b') to intnx('qtr','01jan2022'd,qtr-1,'e');
      output;
    end;
  end;
run;

Option 2:

data test;
  format date date9.;
  do date = '01jan2022'd to '31dec2022'd;
    qtr=qtr(date);
    output;
  end;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 7 in conversation