BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
abbyrjones72
Obsidian | Level 7

I am wondering if there is a way to modularize my program by setting up 'include' files to be called in the main.sas program I have. I have set up MACROs in the main file but I want this to be a little cleaner and put the data commands in one file and the statistical analyses in the main. I've attached my main file.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bobpep212
Quartz | Level 8

Generally speaking, yeah, you could make this more flexible with a macro. I see two embedded macros. You could certainly save those somewhere else then reference them in your main sas macro program with an %includes statement. I'd probably create a macro out of the main to loop through all the different yearly dataset names. Use a %do i=2014 %to 2018 (or have the max year be a function or pass a parameter for the max year into the macro). Then, you replace all the hardcoded dataset names to something lie &&b&i. or &&hiv&i. When appending, I'd recommend renaming the base at some point. I see it is named hiv2014 throughout after you do all the appends, even though it has data for all years at that point. You could do an %IF i=1 %then create your base dataset %else proc append base=ds_name data = &&hiv&i.; 

For debugging purposes, I like MPRINT MLOGIC & MFILE options when I'm building a macro program. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
abbyrjones72
Obsidian | Level 7

By the way, this is NOT homework. I completed my masters in March. I am redoing this for submission somewhere.

bobpep212
Quartz | Level 8

Generally speaking, yeah, you could make this more flexible with a macro. I see two embedded macros. You could certainly save those somewhere else then reference them in your main sas macro program with an %includes statement. I'd probably create a macro out of the main to loop through all the different yearly dataset names. Use a %do i=2014 %to 2018 (or have the max year be a function or pass a parameter for the max year into the macro). Then, you replace all the hardcoded dataset names to something lie &&b&i. or &&hiv&i. When appending, I'd recommend renaming the base at some point. I see it is named hiv2014 throughout after you do all the appends, even though it has data for all years at that point. You could do an %IF i=1 %then create your base dataset %else proc append base=ds_name data = &&hiv&i.; 

For debugging purposes, I like MPRINT MLOGIC & MFILE options when I'm building a macro program. 

abbyrjones72
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you! I actually beat you to it on the base, naming it hiv_all. I am still learning SAS and MACRO functionality in general. I found a great paper, http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi24/Handson/p149-24.pdf, which might help me understand the ampersand functions you recommended. 

Thank you so much for such a quick response.

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13
putting the macro filters into a single SAS program and including a call to filters once from main.
macro the years and remove the extra dataset steps.

put formats into a SAS program and call it once from main.
]
make the program streamlines and
call the program for each year needing to be processed from main.
also create a dummy file to append to incase the first year being process doesn't exist so that the append doesn't fail.
abbyrjones72
Obsidian | Level 7

Can you point me to some documentation that will assist me with this functionality?

bobpep212
Quartz | Level 8

I'm starting to get a little more comfortable with macro programming myself, but I'm still learning. The main thing to understand is that the macro facility really only regenerates text. It isn't actually running any data steps or processing anything in SAS. Once I understood that, they started to make more sense to me. Once it generates the text, then SAS data steps process that.

Here's something you could play around with. There are other folks on here who are better who can probably clean up my code. Also, one thing I noted was that your 2014 & 2015 datasets were called hiv2015 & hiv2015, but then you appended the base with lgbt2015 and lgbt2016. The macro below would just append everything with datasets starting hiv. You also have a proc sort on lgbt2014, but all your procs are referencing hiv2014 (or hiv_all). 

%include filepath with the two embedded macros to compile (add in the proc format?)

%macro main(max);
%do i=2014 %to &max.;
libname b&i xport "/folders/myfolders/HIV-Millennials/LLCP&i..XPT";
libname hiv_data '/folders/myfolders/HIV-Millennials';

data hiv_data.b&i;
	length _STATE 8 ADDEPEV2 8 EDUCA 8 HIVTST6 8 MARITAL 8 SEX 8 SXORIENT 8 HLTHPLN1 8 TRNSGNDR 8 ;
   	set b&i.llcp&i;
run;

proc format;
	value educa 0='No College' 1='College or Degree';
	value agecat 1='Millennials' 2='Non-millennials';
	value sex 0='Male' 1='Female';
	value health 0='No' 1='Yes';
	value trnsgndr 1='Yes' 0='No';
	value hiv 0='No' 1='Yes';
	value sxorient 1='Straight' 2='Lesbian/Gay' 3='Bisexual' 4='Other';
	value race 0='White' 1='Black' 2='Hispanic' 3='Other';
	value state 0='West' 1='Southwest' 2='Midwest' 3='Southeast' 4='Northeast' 
		5='U.S. Territory';
	value married 0='Not Married' 1='Married';
	value depression 0='No previous depression' 1='Previous depression';
run;
%if &i = 1 %then %do;
data hiv_final (keep=_race _age_g ADDEPEV2 _state trnsgndr marital hivtst6 sex agecat hlthpln1 
		educa sxorient);
	set hiv_data.b&i;
		%filters;
		%conditions;
run;
%end;
%else %do;

data hiv&i (keep=_race _age_g ADDEPEV2 _state trnsgndr marital hivtst6 sex agecat hlthpln1 
		educa sxorient);
	set hiv_data.b&i;
		%filters;
		%conditions;
run;
proc append base=hiv_final data=hiv&i;
run;
%end; * sort the appended data by sex ; proc sort data=hiv_final; by sex; run; * run frequency/association testing on covariates against variable of interest ; proc freq data=hiv_final; tables (ADDEPEV2 sex _race marital _state trnsgndr sxorient hlthpln1 educa) * agecat / chisq; format sex sex. agecat agecat. _race race. marital married. _state state. sxorient sxorient. hlthpln1 health. educa educa. trnsgndr trnsgndr. ADDEPEV2 depression. ; run; /* univariate analysis of covariates and exposure against outcome */ proc freq data=hiv_final; tables (ADDEPEV2 sex agecat _race marital _state trnsgndr sxorient hlthpln1 educa) * hivtst6 / chisq; format sex sex. agecat agecat. _race race. marital married. _state state. sxorient sxorient. hlthpln1 health. educa educa. trnsgndr trnsgndr. hivtst6 hiv. ADDEPEV2 depression.; run; /* logistic regression of covariates against ever been told had depressive diagnosis */ proc logistic data=hiv_final; class hivtst6(ref='1') ADDEPEV2(ref='1') sex(ref='0') agecat(ref='2') _race(ref='0') marital(ref='0') _state(ref='2') trnsgndr(ref='0') sxorient(ref='1') hlthpln1(ref='0') educa(ref='0'); model hivtst6=ADDEPEV2 sex agecat _race marital _state trnsgndr sxorient hlthpln1 educa; run; %mend main(); %main(2018) /*or maybe pass in the function year(today())*/

abbyrjones72
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for identifying my errors! This is definitely a work in progress, so I hope you don't think it was submitted this way lol. The text generation does make sense and does clear up how I will approach this.

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

I attached a test version that I did in notepad.  Hope this helps

abbyrjones72
Obsidian | Level 7

VDD and Bob thank you both for the excellent examples. I will research these methods before implementing them, so I can avoid asking this question again in the future. Thank you very much.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I don't think you need the need the macros you have or any new macros that contain macro loops or &&& references.

This was not tested for obvious reasons but have relative few changes except to combine steps.

libname b14 xport '/folders/myfolders/HIV-Millennials/LLCP2014.XPT';
libname b15 xport '/folders/myfolders/HIV-Millennials/LLCP2015.XPT';
libname b16 xport '/folders/myfolders/HIV-Millennials/LLCP2016.XPT';
libname b17 xport '/folders/myfolders/HIV-Millennials/LLCP2017.XPT';

libname hiv_data '/folders/myfolders/HIV-Millennials';

data hiv_data.b_years;
   length _STATE 8 ADDEPEV2 8 EDUCA 8 HIVTST6 8 MARITAL 8 SEX 8 SXORIENT 8 HLTHPLN1 8 TRNSGNDR 8 ;
   set b14.llcp2014 b15.llcp2015 b16.llcp2016 b17.llcp2017 indsname=indsname;
   year = input(substrn(indsname,length(indsname)-3),4.)

run;

proc format;
   value educa 0='No College' 1='College or Degree';
   value agecat 1='Millennials' 2='Non-millennials';
   value sex 0='Male' 1='Female';
   value health 0='No' 1='Yes';
   value trnsgndr 1='Yes' 0='No';
   value hiv 0='No' 1='Yes';
   value sxorient 1='Straight' 2='Lesbian/Gay' 3='Bisexual' 4='Other';
   value race 0='White' 1='Black' 2='Hispanic' 3='Other';
   value state 0='West' 1='Southwest' 2='Midwest' 3='Southeast' 4='Northeast' 5='U.S. Territory';
   value married 0='Not Married' 1='Married';
   value depression 0='No previous depression' 1='Previous depression';
   run;

data analysis(keep=_race _age_g ADDEPEV2 _state trnsgndr marital hivtst6 sex agecat hlthpln1 educa sxorient);
   set hiv_data.b_years;
   where sxorient in (1, 2, 3, 4) and marital in (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) and
      ADDEPEV2 in (1, 2) and educa in (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) and trnsgndr in(1,2,3,4) and
      hlthpln1 in (1, 2) AND _STATE IN(1,2,5:6,8:13,15:34,36:39,41:42,44:47,49:51,53:56,66,72) and
      hivtst6 in (1, 2) and _race in (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) and sex in(1,2);

if educa in(1, 2, 3, 4, 9) then educa=0;
   if educa in(5, 6) then educa=1;

if sex=1 then sex=0;
   if sex=2 then sex=1;

if _age_g in(1, 2) then agecat=1;
   if _age_g in(3, 4, 5, 6) then agecat=2;

if hlthpln1=1 then healthcare=1;
   if hlthpln1=2 then hlthpln1=0;

if hivtst6=1 then hivtst6=1;
   if hivtst6=2 then hivtst6=0;

if ADDEPEV2 in(1) then ADDEPEV2=1;
   if ADDEPEV2 in(2) then ADDEPEV2=0;

if _race in(1) then _race=0;
   if _race in(2) then _race=1;
   if _race in(7) then _race=2;
   if _race in(3, 4, 5, 6, 8) then _race=3;

if trnsgndr in(1,2,3) then trnsgndr=1;
   if trnsgndr=4 then trnsgndr=0;

if _state in(53, 30, 41, 32, 49, 56, 16, 6, 8, 2, 15) then _state=0;
/*  */
/*    verified, 11 */
/*    if _state in(4, 35, 48, 40) then _state=1; */

/* verified, 4 no records at all */
   if _state in(38, 46, 31, 20, 27, 19, 29, 55, 17, 18, 26, 39) then _state=2;

/* REFERENCE verified, 12 */
   if _state in(5, 22, 28, 1, 47, 21, 54, 51, 11, 37, 38, 13, 12, 10, 24) then
      _state=3;

/* verified, 15 */
   if _state in(42, 36, 50, 44, 9, 23, 34, 33, 25) then _state=4;

/* verified, 9 */
   if _state in(66, 72) then _state=5;

/* verified, 2 */
   if marital in(2, 3, 4, 5, 6) then marital='0';
   if marital in(1) then marital='1';
   run;

* sort the appended data by sex ;
proc sort data=analysis;
   by sex;
   run;

* run frequency/association testing on covariates against variable of interest ;
proc freq data=analysis;
   tables (ADDEPEV2 sex _race marital _state trnsgndr sxorient hlthpln1 educa) * agecat / chisq;
   tables (ADDEPEV2 sex agecat _race marital _state trnsgndr sxorient hlthpln1 educa) * hivtst6 / chisq;

format sex sex. agecat agecat. _race race. marital married.
         _state state. sxorient sxorient. hlthpln1 health.
         educa educa. trnsgndr trnsgndr. hivtst6 hiv. ADDEPEV2 depression.;
   run;

/* logistic regression of covariates against ever been told had depressive diagnosis */
proc logistic data=analyisl;
   class hivtst6(ref='1') ADDEPEV2(ref='1') sex(ref='0') agecat(ref='2')
      _race(ref='0') marital(ref='0') _state(ref='2') trnsgndr(ref='0')
      sxorient(ref='1') hlthpln1(ref='0') educa(ref='0');
   model hivtst6=ADDEPEV2 sex agecat _race marital _state trnsgndr sxorient hlthpln1 educa;
   run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 4 in conversation