BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mthorne
Obsidian | Level 7

Is the Plotit macro still available in University Edition? This is the error messages I get, but yet I can do statistical procedures and run graphics.

80 %plotit(data=outcanRS, plotvars=Can2 Can1,
81 labelvar=_blank_, symvar=depth, typevar=depth,
82 symsize=1, symlen=4, exttypes=symbol, ls=100,
83 tsize=1.5, extend=close);
ERROR: SAS/STAT and SAS/GRAPH must be licensed to run this macro.
ERROR: The PLOTIT macro ended abnormally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
The plotit macro uses SAS/GRAPH module which isn't included in SAS UE. GPLOT is fairly old, you should be using SGPLOT these days instead.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
The plotit macro uses SAS/GRAPH module which isn't included in SAS UE. GPLOT is fairly old, you should be using SGPLOT these days instead.

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The plotit macro has NOTHING to do with GPLOT. I wrote it decades ago to circumvent major deficiencies in GPLOT.

That said, I totally agree that SGPLOT is a far better alternative for making scatter plots.

mthorne
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for the reply!

I am using Candisc and I found an example for using Template and Sgrender. Is there a better method?

Mark
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@WarrenKuhfeld wrote:

The plotit macro has NOTHING to do with GPLOT. I wrote it decades ago to circumvent major deficiencies in GPLOT.

That said, I totally agree that SGPLOT is a far better alternative for making scatter plots.

Both the error message in the original post and header of the file that has the PLOTIT macro seem to claim that SAS/GRAPH (of which GPLOT is one of the procedures) is required.

/*    MISC: The following SAS products are required to run      */
 /*          this macro: BASE, STAT, GRAPH.                      */
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The message is accurate. SAS/GRAPH is required. There are all kinds of procs in SAS/GRAPH, including GPLOT, that have nothing to do with the macro. None of that changes the fact that SAS/GRAPH is required. No one cares about the details of plotit any more. I don't remember the details myself, and I wrote it. However, I am certain that it did not use GPLOT and that the frustration of GPLOT not providing a way to label points led me to write it.

Use SGPLOT! It is the modern way-cool way to do things in SAS. Don't worry about a macro that I wrote decades ago that has been eclipsed by newer and better technology.

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

BTW, the fact that the macro printed a message proves that it is available in University Edition, even if it does not actually work in University Edition (because SAS/GRAPH is not available in University Edition). It could not print a message if it were not there.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation