BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi all,

I have a project to do where I have an excel spreadsheet which has ID and one more column of data. I can create a sas dataset from excel spreadsheet which will have 2 variables by importing from excel to sas. I have more than 50 sas datasets in one folder. I have to add this column to all the sas datasets. I can merge the column using ID number. I can write a merge data step macro like below:

%macro jig (name= );

data datdir.NEW_&name ;
merge excelsheetdata datdir.&name ;
by ID;
run;

%mend jig;

%jig (name=AB);
%jig (name=AC); and so on for 50+ times..........................

I have to write these datasets name manually. Is there any programming flexibility in SAS where SAS code can pick up these dataset names directly from the folder where these datasets are located rather than me passing 50+ names manually in a macro call.

Thanks,

Jig.
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
Sure, SAS supports the use of wildcards in file and directory names.

You will need to read the SAS documentation.

An alternative is to write a macro that creates a list of files in a dataset, which can then be used for subsequent processing. This can be done the "dopen" function and subsequent "d..." functions.

If you need the explicit filename used, in a datastep, when reading the EXCEL spreadsheet, then you can use the "filevar=" option.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi Jigar

as I understand it, your NAME= parameter is one of many SAS data sets in a folder. That folder needs to be assigned as a SAS library, like [pre] libname jig 'that folder' ;[/pre]Then with the internal SAS dictionary.table you can use the names of the SAS data sets in that JIG library as a variable. Try :[pre]
%macro jig( name );
data jig.NEW_&name ;
merge excelsheetdata datdir.&name ;
by ID ;
run ;
%mend jig;

*invoke macro JIG for each data set in JIG library;
* 1 create table of data set names in library JIG ;
proc sql ;
create table jigsDs as select memname from sashelp.vtable
where libname='JIG' and nobs GT 0 ;
quit;
* 2 use that data set to invoke the macro once for each DS ;
data _null_ ;
set jigsDS ;
call execute( '%nrstr( %%)' !! 'jig(' !! memname !! ') ' ) ;
run;[/pre]

try that.

PeterC
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks Peter.

This works great...

Jig.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation