BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chrishull
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I'm looking for help to join my accounting data with address information at the time of the transaction. The address information for the customer needs to be prioritized so that I use the 'R' address only even if the customer has both an 'R' and 'M' address at the time of the transaction. 

This is what I need the data to look like

IDTRANS_DTPOSTAL_AT_TIME_OF_TRANSADDRESS_TYPE
21252004-03-01M6S4A1R

You can see from the table below with the address information that both the 'R' and 'M' address were "effective" at the time of the transaction.

BTW: The transaction data is just the first two columns (ID and TRANS_DT). This is what the address information looks like

IDEFFECTIVE_DTEND_DATE_CALCID_POSTALADDRESS_TYPE_CD
21251960-01-011999-01-26M3C1C2M
21251960-01-011999-01-26M6N1Z2R
21251999-01-272006-10-31P0H1T0M
21251999-01-272007-06-29M6S4A1R
21252006-11-012011-12-24M6N2M1M
21252012-10-162018-03-31M3L2H7M
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chrishull
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you everyone for your help. I wasn't able to get the best performance from any of the solutions which led me to realize that my address data needed to be cleaned up. Here's the 15 step process I put together which recreates the address table giving priority to the residential address. I'm still verifying the data in my "new" table but based on initial review and test, this works incredibly well.

Any comments or suggestions are certainly welcome. I'm always trying to learn!

/*PART 1 - FIND ALL GAPS BETWEEN THE RESIDENTIAL ADDRESSES*/
DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P1;
SYSECHO "PART 1";
 SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_R;
 BY CLIENT_ID;
 LAGDATE=LAG(END_DT);
 RETAIN LAGDATE;
 IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DIF=0;
 	ELSE DIF=INTCK("DAY",LAGDATE,EFFECTIVE_DT);

IF DIF>1 THEN DO;
	NEWEFF=EFFECTIVE_DT-(DIF-1);
	NEWEND=EFFECTIVE_DT-1;
 END;
RUN;

/*PART 2 - DELETE RESIDENTIAL RECORDS FROM THE P1 TABLE WHERE NO GAPS EXISTS BETWEEN RESIDENTIAL ADDRESSES*/
PROC SQL;
SYSECHO "PART 2";
 DELETE * FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_P1 WHERE NEWEFF IS MISSING;
QUIT;

/*PART 3 - CAPTURE MAILING ADDRESS INFO BETWEEN THE RESIDENTIAL GAPS*/
DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P22;
SYSECHO "PART 3";
 MERGE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P1 (IN=INA) WORK.NEW_ADDR_M (IN=INB);
 BY CLIENT_ID;
 IF INA AND INB;
RUN;
/*PART 4 - CALCULATE THE CORRECT EFFECTIVE AND END DATES FOR RESIDENTIAL GAPS*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 4"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P2 AS SELECT CLIENT_ID, CASE WHEN NEWEND < EFFECTIVE_DT THEN . WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN NEWEFF WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT >= NEWEND THEN NEWEFF WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN EFFECTIVE_DT WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT >= NEWEND THEN EFFECTIVE_DT ELSE . END AS EFFECTIVE_DT2, CASE WHEN CALCULATED EFFECTIVE_DT2 IS MISSING THEN . WHEN NEWEFF > EFFECTIVE_DT AND END_DT <= NEWEND THEN END_DT WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN NEWEND WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT > NEWEND THEN NEWEND WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN END_DT WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT >= NEWEND THEN NEWEND ELSE . END AS END_DT2, POSTAL_AREA_CD, ADDRESS_TYPE_CD FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_P22 WHERE CALCULATED EFFECTIVE_DT2 IS NOT MISSING; QUIT; /*PART 5 - DATA CLEANUP (RENAMING VARIABLES AND SORTING DATASET*/ PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P2 (RENAME=(EFFECTIVE_DT2=EFFECTIVE_DT) RENAME=(END_DT2=END_DT)); SYSECHO "PART 5"; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN; /*PART 6 - CREATE THE BASE TABLE AND APPEND THE RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS INFO TABLES AND SORT*/ PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_R; SYSECHO "PART 6"; RUN; PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P2; RUN; PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN; /*PART 7 - CAPTURE THE MIN AND MAX EFFECTIVE DATE AND MAX END DATE FROM THE NEW ADDRESS TABLE*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 7"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P4 AS SELECT CLIENT_ID, MIN(EFFECTIVE_DT) AS MIN_EFFDATE, MAX(EFFECTIVE_DT) AS MAX_EFFDATE, MAX(END_DT) AS MAX_ENDDATE FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 GROUP BY CLIENT_ID; QUIT; /*PART 8 - CAPTURE MAILING ADDRESSES EARLIER THAN THE MIN EFFECTIVE DATE*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 8"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P5 AS SELECT T1.*, T2.MIN_EFFDATE FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_M T1 INNER JOIN WORK.NEW_ADDR_P4 T2 ON T1.CLIENT_ID=T2.CLIENT_ID AND T2.MIN_EFFDATE> T1.EFFECTIVE_DT WHERE T2.MIN_EFFDATE > T1.END_DT; QUIT; /*PART 9 - UPDATE THE END DATE OF THE LAST MAILING ADDRESS RECORD TO PREVENT OVERLAPPING DATES*/ DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P52 (KEEP= CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT END_DT POSTAL_AREA_CD ADDRESS_TYPE_CD); SYSECHO "PART 9"; SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_P5; BY CLIENT_ID; LAGDATE=LAG(END_DT); RETAIN LAGDATE; IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DIF=0; ELSE DIF=INTCK("DAY",LAGDATE,EFFECTIVE_DT); IF LAST.CLIENT_ID AND DIF>1 THEN END_DT=MIN_EFFDATE-1; RUN; /*PART 10 - CAPTURE MAILING ADDRESSES LATER THAN THE MAX EFFECTIVE DATE*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 10"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P6 AS SELECT T1.*, T2.MAX_EFFDATE, T2.MAX_ENDDATE FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_M T1 INNER JOIN WORK.NEW_ADDR_P4 T2 ON T1.CLIENT_ID=T2.CLIENT_ID AND T2.MAX_EFFDATE < T1.EFFECTIVE_DT AND T2.MAX_ENDDATE < T1.END_DT; QUIT; /*PART 11 - UPDATE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE LATER ADDRESSES TO PREVENT OVERLAPPING DATES*/ DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P62 (KEEP= CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT END_DT POSTAL_AREA_CD ADDRESS_TYPE_CD); SYSECHO "PART 11"; SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_P6; BY CLIENT_ID; IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DO; IF EFFECTIVE_DT=MAX_ENDDATE THEN EFFECTIVE_DT=MAX_ENDDATE+1; END; RUN; /*PART 12 - APPEND MAILING ADDRESS INFO ON RECORD BEFORE AND AFTER THE RESIDENTIAL THEN SORT*/ PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P52; SYSECHO "PART 12-1"; RUN;
PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P62; SYSECHO "PART 12-2"; RUN; PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3; SYSECHO "PART 12-3"; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN; /*PART 13 - CHECK TABLE FOR OVERLAPPING DATES CAUSED BY INVALID PRODUCTION DATA*/ DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_CHECK; SYSECHO "PART 13"; SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3; BY CLIENT_ID; LAGDATE=LAG(END_DT); RETAIN LAGDATE; IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DIF=0; ELSE DIF=INTCK("DAY",LAGDATE,EFFECTIVE_DT); RUN; /*PART 14 - DELETE RECORDS WITH NEGATIVE DATE DIF VALUES*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 14"; DELETE * FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_CHECK WHERE DIF<0; QUIT; /*PART 15 - CREATE FINAL TABLE WITH CORRECT VARIABLES AND SORT*/ PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_CHECK OUT=WORK.NEW_ADDR_FINAL (KEEP= CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT END_DT POSTAL_AREA_CD ADDRESS_TYPE_CD); SYSECHO "PART 15"; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN;

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Reeza
Super User
Create a subset of the second data set that only has one address per ID, the latest one, and use that. Or we usually add a flag to these types of lookup tables that indicate the most current address.
chrishull
Obsidian | Level 7
When adding the flag, how do you recommend that I identify the address that I should use? I think I understand the concept but I'm not sure how I handle the priority flag when I have overlapping dates.
Reeza
Super User

@chrishull wrote:
When adding the flag, how do you recommend that I identify the address that I should use? I think I understand the concept but I'm not sure how I handle the priority flag when I have overlapping dates.

You're right, that approach won't work with overlapping dates. Just to clarify for overlapping dates you want to take the M, not R record?

I would merge first, ignoring the dual record issue. You'll get multiples. Then sort within a data step so that M's are always first and take the top record. 

chrishull
Obsidian | Level 7
I need to take the R address where it exists at the same point in time as the M address. My dataset is pretty large. I could separate my dataset into smaller segments and run it that way. I would need to sort out how 1. identify the duplicates and 2. delete the duplicates that have an M address.

Do you think it would be better to somehow recreate my address dataset by inserting only the R addresses and somehow calculate the dates between them and insert the corresponding M address information by ID? - if that's even possible in SAS?
noling
SAS Employee

@Reeza Any clue why this adds a zero to the date value of the second date column?

data temp;
	length ID 8. effective_dt end_date_calc 8.;
	format effective_dt yymmdd10. end_date_calc yymmdd10.;
	input ID effective_dt yymmdd10. end_date_calc yymmdd10. ;

datalines;
2125 1960-01-01 1999-01-26 
2125 1999-01-27 2006-10-31
2125 1999-01-27 2007-06-29
2125 2006-11-01 2011-12-24
2125 2012-10-16 2018-03-31
;;;
run;

This gives:

Capture.PNG

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Reeza
Super User
data temp;
	informat effective_dt yymmdd10. end_date_calc yymmdd10.;
	input ID effective_dt end_date_calc  ;
datalines;
;;;
run;

This works.

@noling wrote:

@Reeza Any clue why this adds a zero to the date value of the second date column?

data temp;
	input ID effective_dt yymmdd10. end_date_calc yymmdd10. ;

datalines;
;;;
run;

This gives:

Capture.PNG

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

@noling , use the colon modifier so that the input field starts with the next available non-space character.

input ID effective_dt :yymmdd10. end_date_calc :yymmdd10. ;
PG
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Because you told it to read exactly 10 characters, but since you were starting at the space between two dates the one's place of the last date was not read.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I guess you need something like

select  
    ID, ...,
    (   select id_postal 
        from Addresses 
        where id=t.id and t.trans_dt between effective_dt and end_date_calc 
        group by id 
        having address_type_cd=max(address_type_cd)) as postal_at_time_of_trans
from Transactions as t;
PG
chrishull
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, PG. I'm running this now on approx. 300,000 transaction records (1/100th of my total transaction data volume). It's been running for over 30 minutes. Do you think performance is impacted because the address dataset has 60+ million rows?

Any ideas on how to speed it up?

Reeza
Super User

It's going to be a slow lookup because you're not doing an exact match, you'll have to check all records within the date ranges. Do your data sets have indexes? That would likely help speed things up.

Also, you would have to post the code actually used to comment on efficiency.

@chrishull wrote:

Thank you, PG. I'm running this now on approx. 300,000 transaction records (1/100th of my total transaction data volume). It's been running for over 30 minutes. Do you think performance is impacted because the address dataset has 60+ million rows?

Any ideas on how to speed it up?

chrishull
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you everyone for your help. I wasn't able to get the best performance from any of the solutions which led me to realize that my address data needed to be cleaned up. Here's the 15 step process I put together which recreates the address table giving priority to the residential address. I'm still verifying the data in my "new" table but based on initial review and test, this works incredibly well.

Any comments or suggestions are certainly welcome. I'm always trying to learn!

/*PART 1 - FIND ALL GAPS BETWEEN THE RESIDENTIAL ADDRESSES*/
DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P1;
SYSECHO "PART 1";
 SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_R;
 BY CLIENT_ID;
 LAGDATE=LAG(END_DT);
 RETAIN LAGDATE;
 IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DIF=0;
 	ELSE DIF=INTCK("DAY",LAGDATE,EFFECTIVE_DT);

IF DIF>1 THEN DO;
	NEWEFF=EFFECTIVE_DT-(DIF-1);
	NEWEND=EFFECTIVE_DT-1;
 END;
RUN;

/*PART 2 - DELETE RESIDENTIAL RECORDS FROM THE P1 TABLE WHERE NO GAPS EXISTS BETWEEN RESIDENTIAL ADDRESSES*/
PROC SQL;
SYSECHO "PART 2";
 DELETE * FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_P1 WHERE NEWEFF IS MISSING;
QUIT;

/*PART 3 - CAPTURE MAILING ADDRESS INFO BETWEEN THE RESIDENTIAL GAPS*/
DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P22;
SYSECHO "PART 3";
 MERGE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P1 (IN=INA) WORK.NEW_ADDR_M (IN=INB);
 BY CLIENT_ID;
 IF INA AND INB;
RUN;
/*PART 4 - CALCULATE THE CORRECT EFFECTIVE AND END DATES FOR RESIDENTIAL GAPS*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 4"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P2 AS SELECT CLIENT_ID, CASE WHEN NEWEND < EFFECTIVE_DT THEN . WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN NEWEFF WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT >= NEWEND THEN NEWEFF WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN EFFECTIVE_DT WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT >= NEWEND THEN EFFECTIVE_DT ELSE . END AS EFFECTIVE_DT2, CASE WHEN CALCULATED EFFECTIVE_DT2 IS MISSING THEN . WHEN NEWEFF > EFFECTIVE_DT AND END_DT <= NEWEND THEN END_DT WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN NEWEND WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT <= NEWEFF AND END_DT > NEWEND THEN NEWEND WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT BETWEEN NEWEFF AND NEWEND THEN END_DT WHEN EFFECTIVE_DT >= NEWEFF AND END_DT >= NEWEND THEN NEWEND ELSE . END AS END_DT2, POSTAL_AREA_CD, ADDRESS_TYPE_CD FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_P22 WHERE CALCULATED EFFECTIVE_DT2 IS NOT MISSING; QUIT; /*PART 5 - DATA CLEANUP (RENAMING VARIABLES AND SORTING DATASET*/ PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P2 (RENAME=(EFFECTIVE_DT2=EFFECTIVE_DT) RENAME=(END_DT2=END_DT)); SYSECHO "PART 5"; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN; /*PART 6 - CREATE THE BASE TABLE AND APPEND THE RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS INFO TABLES AND SORT*/ PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_R; SYSECHO "PART 6"; RUN; PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P2; RUN; PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN; /*PART 7 - CAPTURE THE MIN AND MAX EFFECTIVE DATE AND MAX END DATE FROM THE NEW ADDRESS TABLE*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 7"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P4 AS SELECT CLIENT_ID, MIN(EFFECTIVE_DT) AS MIN_EFFDATE, MAX(EFFECTIVE_DT) AS MAX_EFFDATE, MAX(END_DT) AS MAX_ENDDATE FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 GROUP BY CLIENT_ID; QUIT; /*PART 8 - CAPTURE MAILING ADDRESSES EARLIER THAN THE MIN EFFECTIVE DATE*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 8"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P5 AS SELECT T1.*, T2.MIN_EFFDATE FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_M T1 INNER JOIN WORK.NEW_ADDR_P4 T2 ON T1.CLIENT_ID=T2.CLIENT_ID AND T2.MIN_EFFDATE> T1.EFFECTIVE_DT WHERE T2.MIN_EFFDATE > T1.END_DT; QUIT; /*PART 9 - UPDATE THE END DATE OF THE LAST MAILING ADDRESS RECORD TO PREVENT OVERLAPPING DATES*/ DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P52 (KEEP= CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT END_DT POSTAL_AREA_CD ADDRESS_TYPE_CD); SYSECHO "PART 9"; SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_P5; BY CLIENT_ID; LAGDATE=LAG(END_DT); RETAIN LAGDATE; IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DIF=0; ELSE DIF=INTCK("DAY",LAGDATE,EFFECTIVE_DT); IF LAST.CLIENT_ID AND DIF>1 THEN END_DT=MIN_EFFDATE-1; RUN; /*PART 10 - CAPTURE MAILING ADDRESSES LATER THAN THE MAX EFFECTIVE DATE*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 10"; CREATE TABLE WORK.NEW_ADDR_P6 AS SELECT T1.*, T2.MAX_EFFDATE, T2.MAX_ENDDATE FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_M T1 INNER JOIN WORK.NEW_ADDR_P4 T2 ON T1.CLIENT_ID=T2.CLIENT_ID AND T2.MAX_EFFDATE < T1.EFFECTIVE_DT AND T2.MAX_ENDDATE < T1.END_DT; QUIT; /*PART 11 - UPDATE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE LATER ADDRESSES TO PREVENT OVERLAPPING DATES*/ DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_P62 (KEEP= CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT END_DT POSTAL_AREA_CD ADDRESS_TYPE_CD); SYSECHO "PART 11"; SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_P6; BY CLIENT_ID; IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DO; IF EFFECTIVE_DT=MAX_ENDDATE THEN EFFECTIVE_DT=MAX_ENDDATE+1; END; RUN; /*PART 12 - APPEND MAILING ADDRESS INFO ON RECORD BEFORE AND AFTER THE RESIDENTIAL THEN SORT*/ PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P52; SYSECHO "PART 12-1"; RUN;
PROC APPEND BASE=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3 DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P62; SYSECHO "PART 12-2"; RUN; PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3; SYSECHO "PART 12-3"; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN; /*PART 13 - CHECK TABLE FOR OVERLAPPING DATES CAUSED BY INVALID PRODUCTION DATA*/ DATA WORK.NEW_ADDR_CHECK; SYSECHO "PART 13"; SET WORK.NEW_ADDR_P3; BY CLIENT_ID; LAGDATE=LAG(END_DT); RETAIN LAGDATE; IF FIRST.CLIENT_ID THEN DIF=0; ELSE DIF=INTCK("DAY",LAGDATE,EFFECTIVE_DT); RUN; /*PART 14 - DELETE RECORDS WITH NEGATIVE DATE DIF VALUES*/ PROC SQL; SYSECHO "PART 14"; DELETE * FROM WORK.NEW_ADDR_CHECK WHERE DIF<0; QUIT; /*PART 15 - CREATE FINAL TABLE WITH CORRECT VARIABLES AND SORT*/ PROC SORT DATA=WORK.NEW_ADDR_CHECK OUT=WORK.NEW_ADDR_FINAL (KEEP= CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT END_DT POSTAL_AREA_CD ADDRESS_TYPE_CD); SYSECHO "PART 15"; BY CLIENT_ID EFFECTIVE_DT; RUN;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation