BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
current_thing
Obsidian | Level 7

I have two SAS data sets with a common column called key. I want to insert into table 2 a column called bill_complete_dt. I want to do a right join where key on both tables match. I try this:

proc sql;

insert into my.&file2
select a.bill_complete_dt from my.&file1 as a right join my.&file2 as b on a.key=b.key;

quit;

I get the following error mesg:

ERROR: Attempt to insert fewer columns than specified after the INSERT table name.
ERROR: Value 1 on the SELECT clause does not match the data type of the corresponding column listed after the INSERT table name.

What I'm I doing wrong? Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

INSERT INTO adds complete observations, and the values must match the structure of the existing dataset. You cannot use the statement to add a column to the structure of the dataset. For this, you need to rewrite the dataset, either with CREATE TABLE in SQL, or with a DATA step.

proc sql;
create table my.file3 as /* do not immediately overwrite a dataset, in case something goes wrong */
  select
    t1.*,
    t2.bill_complete_dt
  from my.file2 t1 left join my.file1 t2
  on t1.key = t2.key
;
quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

INSERT INTO adds complete observations, and the values must match the structure of the existing dataset. You cannot use the statement to add a column to the structure of the dataset. For this, you need to rewrite the dataset, either with CREATE TABLE in SQL, or with a DATA step.

proc sql;
create table my.file3 as /* do not immediately overwrite a dataset, in case something goes wrong */
  select
    t1.*,
    t2.bill_complete_dt
  from my.file2 t1 left join my.file1 t2
  on t1.key = t2.key
;
quit;
current_thing
Obsidian | Level 7
thank you Kurt! this worked 😀
RichardDeVen
Barite | Level 11

In some scenarios you will want to perform two atomic operations on an existing data set (or remote data base table)

• add a column to the table (alter)
  • populate the column (update)

Example:

data one;
  input key a b c;
  datalines;
1 10 20 30
2 20 30 40
3 30 40 50
;

data two;
  input key (p q r) (3*:$1.);
  datalines;
1 A B C
2 D E F
3 G H I
4 J K L
5 M N P
;

proc sql;
  alter table two modify c num;
  update two
    set c = (select c from one where one.key=two.key)
  where
    exists  (select * from one where one.key=two.key)
  ;
current_thing
Obsidian | Level 7
thank you! can I use alias for the tables to join the key? what's the syntax?

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation