BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Varrelle
Quartz | Level 8

Hello SAS community:

I have one table named  'table1' with a column named 'X1' and a second table, 'table2', with a column named 'X2'. I want to combine a row from 'table1' and 'table2' when the value of 'X1' from 'table1' is a 'close' match to the value of 'X2' in 'table2'.

For example, if the value of 'X1' from a row in 'table1' is the string 'abc.&.123', and the value of 'X2' from a row in 'table2' is 'abc_and_123', then I would like to return a row which is the combined rows from 'table1' and 'table2' on this 'close' match between variables 'X1' from 'table1' and 'X2' from 'table2'.

I can use the LIKE operator to locate each row from each table as follows:

/*FOR table1:*/ 
PROC SQL; SELECT X1 
FROM table1 
WHERE X1 LIKE 'abc%123'; 
QUIT; 

/*FOR table2:*/ 
PROC SQL; 
SELECT X2 
FROM table2 
WHERE X2 LIKE 'abc%123'; 
QUIT;

Basically I would like to do a JOIN for the two tables on a 'close' match.  I wonder if the LIKE operator can achieve this, or perhaps there is another strategy that would allow me to do the same?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Varrelle
Quartz | Level 8

this is a link to a paper that seems to have solved my problem. thanks again to @PaigeMiller and @SASKiwi for their helpful feedback and commentary.

NESUG 2011 -- PROC SQL fuzzy matching 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Search this forum (and google the rest of the internet) for "fuzzy matching".

--
Paige Miller
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You haven't posted much detail on the types of fuzzy matching you want. The only example you have given looks like it is made-up. It would be helpful if you could provide more examples. Typically DATA steps are much better for fuzzy matching.

Varrelle
Quartz | Level 8

this is a link to a paper that seems to have solved my problem. thanks again to @PaigeMiller and @SASKiwi for their helpful feedback and commentary.

NESUG 2011 -- PROC SQL fuzzy matching 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Varrelle  - No problem, glad to hear you have figured it out for yourself. Please bear in mind that using a range of techniques is best for fuzzy matching. Start by doing exact matches, then use fuzzy techniques on the remaining data.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation