BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnaC
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello

I'm trying to calculate the 98th percentil of a data in a colum by two variables. I'm doing this in SAS guide, so building a small programm could be the solution. This is what 've donne base in sas code:

PROC SORT
 DATA=WORK.TABLE_1 (KEEP=Cost Class)
 OUT=WORK.SORTTempTableSorted
 ;
 BY Class;
RUN;

PROC MEANS DATA=WORK.SORTTempTableSorted 

P99 ; (here I would like to be able to chose pe 87%)
 VAR Cust;
 BY Class;

RUN;

But this is not in I table were a can resuse the values.

I also tried to do directly in a query with a calculaed field PCTL(87%, Cost) but the result is a table with one colum and as may lines as the original tabel.

Does someone knows how to get this values?

Thanks,

Ana

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

You may want to look at Proc Univariate and the PCTLPTS option to get different percentile points than Proc Means supports.

Or show the code you attempted that did "I also tried to do directly in a query with a calculaed field PCTL(87%, Cost) but the result is a table with one colum and as may lines as the original table."

Which sounds like you may have tried something with Proc SQL, missing a Group clause and not including your Cust variable on the select.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Avoid coding all in uppercase, and there is a code window above the post area - {i}.  With this you can get output like:

proc means data=sorttemptablesorted;
  var cust;
  by class;
  output out=want  p99=p99;  /* Specify list of calculations here */
run;

So you get an output dataset by using the output out=, or you can also select specific sections of outputs first by running:

ods trace on;

...yourcode...

ods trace off;

This will show in the log or output what elements are created by the procedure, you can then select these like (say I want means output to be saved to want):

ods output means=want;

...your code...
AnaC
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you so much. Combining all your anserws I come up with this code that work perfectly with  what I need:

PROC SORT
 DATA=WORK.SIN_C_DIAS_ITA_ITP(KEEP=Cost Class Type)
 ;
 BY Class Type;
RUN;

PROC univariate  DATA=WORK.SORTTempTableSorted noprint;

VAR Costo;
 BY Class Type;

output out=Percentil pctlpre=Class_ pctlpts=98;

RUN;

PROC SQL;

drop table SORTTempTableSorted;

Quit;

Reeza
Super User

You can simplify this a bit, especially if your data is small. Is your variable cost or costo? You seem to refer to both?

PROC univariate  DATA=WORK.SIN_C_DIAS_ITA_ITP(KEEP=Cost Class Type) NWAY noprint;
CLASS Class Type;
Var Cost;
run; quit;

To avoid sorting you can use a CLASS statement instead of BY, and add the NWAY option to get only the highest levels of combinations. Remove it to see what you get instead if interested. 

Changes are in purple.

@AnaC wrote:

Thank you so much. Combining all your anserws I come up with this code that work perfectly with  what I need:

PROC SORT
 DATA=WORK.SIN_C_DIAS_ITA_ITP(KEEP=Cost Class Type)
 ;
 BY Class Type;
RUN;

PROC univariate  DATA=WORK.SORTTempTableSorted noprint;

VAR Costo;
 BY Class Type;

RUN;

PROC SQL;

drop table SORTTempTableSorted;

Quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation