BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DavidPhillips2
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have a long-stored process with a macro loop.  It looks like my Oracle connection form my Libname stays open a little over an hour.  Then my Oracle connection closes and the stored process slowly errors out.  Should I remake my libname connection after a set amount of time?  Is there a way to do this?

3 REPLIES 3
AhmedAl_Attar
Ammonite | Level 13

If your Oracle Library definition stored in the SAS Metadata Server, then you can try the LIBNAME Statement for the Metadata Engine.

LIBNAME <LibRef> META library="<Library Description>" metaout=data; 

For more details, check this paper https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/EG43MetaLibraries.pdf

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

DavidPhillips2
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I'll try this.  First I"m looking at loading everything into memory first from Oracle into SAS before I start lopping in my stored process.  I'm guessing the idle time error that I'm receiving is not about the length of the query but the amount of time between a SAS call and an Oracle call.

AhmedAl_Attar
Ammonite | Level 13

Depending on how big the oracle data, loading it into SAS may not be the best option, but you know better.

in all cases, I would recommend you explore the information listed in this SGF paper 

- SAS-Oracle Options and Efficiency: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You

You can find a lot more papers on this subject by visiting this link https://lexjansen.com/search/searchresults.php?q=Oracle

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation