BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
teelov
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I have just been given over 2000 lines of code to optimize, the query's i need more help with and being able to spot if the PROC SQL queries are optimum as the connection is ODBC using SQL-server and i want to limit the amount of stress the in DBMS processing / pass thru does on the other end.

we are confident after speaking to the DBA that SAS sends the exactl query across, and i can confirm this with sastrace options.

this comes down to better SQL coding, which is not my most strong point, any help will be appreciated to get this running faster

i need to add there are 300,000,000 rows in the SQL table, of which 14,543,543 are "STRINGX"

/*read in the relevant VAR2 outcome line per exception*/

PROC SQL;
	CREATE table work.A as select
	 	VAR1
		,max(case when VAR2="STRINGX" then id end)as NEW_STRING
	from mysqlx.B
	group by VAR1;
quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, I don't see any simple way of making that any better.  How does it relate to this 2000 lines of code - which I  assume is SQL?  Have you done a root analysis of the code, i.e. documented where each part needs to run, how things link together?  You say you don't want processing on the database - which would be where I would do it - in which extract the data to SAS, then process it there using Base SAS?  This is a whole process that you and the database team needs to go through, if you have good documentation on the whole process then it makes it a lot easier, as then you can assign various sections to the various tools, and take a deeper look at the code and data enclosed within.

Sorry can't be more specific as not seeing what the "question" here is?

Oh, to add, you have the _method and _tree options in sql to show the SQL compiler actions, which may help with the SQL debugging, although the DB will likely have much better tools for it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, I don't see any simple way of making that any better.  How does it relate to this 2000 lines of code - which I  assume is SQL?  Have you done a root analysis of the code, i.e. documented where each part needs to run, how things link together?  You say you don't want processing on the database - which would be where I would do it - in which extract the data to SAS, then process it there using Base SAS?  This is a whole process that you and the database team needs to go through, if you have good documentation on the whole process then it makes it a lot easier, as then you can assign various sections to the various tools, and take a deeper look at the code and data enclosed within.

Sorry can't be more specific as not seeing what the "question" here is?

Oh, to add, you have the _method and _tree options in sql to show the SQL compiler actions, which may help with the SQL debugging, although the DB will likely have much better tools for it.

teelov
Quartz | Level 8

Your reply helps a lot as thats exactly what i have done, a lot of the initial processing pulls datasets from the SQL server into SAS work.

i've mapped out the entire process in a high level process flow, to also identify what can be run in parallel.

using SAS EG Analyze program for grid, sas was able to compile a HUGE program with a lot of Rsubmits, but there is an issue where it creates a lot of remote session and uses a slot in the queue but no CPU activity on the PID

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation