BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Hi Chris

Point taken.

I'm not 100% convinced that you're right with everything (especially point 2) but I definitely need to do some more reading & testing first before continuing this discussion.

Thanks

Patrick

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Hi Chris,

We are doing many data transferring in between different hosts and platforms, mainframe to Windows servers, Unix server to Windows server and back and forth. What we have found that FTP (or sFTP) binary is the fastest among many solutions including proc download. Another team claimed that using Axway to do the transferring is in par of FTP, but I haven't got a chance to test it out myself.

And of course, it is certainly an appropriate topic for SAS tech support to investigate on.

Haikuo

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi Haikuo.

FTP's purpose is indeed to transfer files, and it is fast.

If it is available to the user, it is certainly a viable option, but you have to transfer to the FTP server first, and the whole process is not synchronous and not as simple.

If FTP is not available to the user or if the user wants a quick and easy way for one-off transfer, proc download remains in the sas world and is the way to go.

Both options work and choice is good.

Chris

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation