BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Lipty
Obsidian | Level 7

A super silly question to ask.

I would like to do a robustness test, in which I will only keep variables that are significantly different from 0. What is the most efficient method? Thank you very much. : )

6 REPLIES 6
sustagens
Pyrite | Level 9

Check out this link: PROC REG: Simple Linear Regression 

"The table also contains the statistics and the corresponding -values for testing whether each parameter is significantly different from zero."

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Lipty wrote:

I would like to do a robustness test, in which I will only keep variables that are significantly different from 0. What is the most efficient method? Thank you very much. : )

Which robustness test? Be specific.

--
Paige Miller
Lipty
Obsidian | Level 7

There are about 10,000 observations and some are very close to 0. For example, -0.005, 0.0007,-0.006, etc. I conducted some tests with the original 10,000 observations. Now I could like to only keep observations that are significantly different from 0 in the sub-set to do the same tests. Then I need to drop other observations.

Thank you. : )

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Lipty wrote:

There are about 10,000 observations and some are very close to 0. For example, -0.005, 0.0007,-0.006, etc. I conducted some tests with the original 10,000 observations. Now I could like to only keep observations that are significantly different from 0 in the sub-set to do the same tests. Then I need to drop other observations.

Again, I ask which specific test are you doing to determine if something is significantly different than 0?

Also, originally you spoke of keeping variables, now you speak of keeping observations. Which is it?

--
Paige Miller
Lipty
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, Paige. I meant observations. It should be observations in the in subject. 

Once the observations are 5% significantly different from 0, I will keep them in the sub-sample.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Okay, you haven't answered my question. So, let me try another way.

How do you want to determine if the observation is statistically different than zero? What statistic? What method? What technique? You mentioned "robust", but that isn't enough for me to know how you want to do this. Please explain.

Also, would you please be so kind as to change the subject line on your original message to indicate that the problem is about keeping observations?

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation