BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
orchid_sugar
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to merge HPI score based on the zip code. However, it only shows up once instead of applying the score to each row. This code worked for other part of my coding but I am not sure why it's not working for this:

[prefinal_missing]

orgID       hplzip ...

111112       90017

111113       90017

111114       90017

[HPI_hpl]

hplzip       HPIscore

90017       0.026

Code:

proc sort data=prefinal_missing; by hplzip; run;

proc sort data=HPI_hpl; by hplzip; run;

data test;

merge prefinal_missing(in=in1) HPI_hpl;

by hplzip;

if in1;

attrib _all_ label='';

run;

What comes out:

orgID       hplzip       HPIscore       ...

111112       90017       0.026

111113       90017       .

111114       90017       .

What I want:

orgID       hplzip       HPIscore       ...

111112       90017       0.026

111113       90017       0.026

111114       90017       0.026

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is usually caused by making the mistake of having the variable already existing in MANY dataset.

data test;
      merge prefinal_missing(in=in1 drop=hpiscore) HPI_hpl;
      by hplzip;
      if in1;
      attrib _all_ label='';
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Your code works for me:

PaigeMiller_0-1690128709104.png

Are there errors in the log? Are the values of hplzip numeric or character? If character, are there unnecessary spaces before or after the characters? Or perhaps there are non-printable characters in some of the values of HPLZIP.

From now on, please (EVERY SINGLE TIME) present data as working SAS data step code, such as this:

data HPI_hpl;
input hplzip HPIscore;
cards;
90017 0.026
;

You can use this macro to create this working DATA step code for you: https://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2016/03/11/jedi-sas-tricks-data-to-data-step-macro/

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is usually caused by making the mistake of having the variable already existing in MANY dataset.

data test;
      merge prefinal_missing(in=in1 drop=hpiscore) HPI_hpl;
      by hplzip;
      if in1;
      attrib _all_ label='';
run;
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Use Tom's solution and note that by using 

options msglevel=I;

the MERGE step writes an INFO message about this potential issue to the log:

INFO: The variable HPIscore on data set WORK.PREFINAL_MISSING will be overwritten by data set WORK.HPI_HPL.

Which should remind you to drop the conflicting variable from dataset PREFINAL_MISSING, as Tom has suggested, and hence avoid that log message.

Actually, the INFO message describes that in the first observation of a BY group the HPIscore from PREFINAL_MISSING is overwritten with the corresponding value from HPI_HPL (as desired). But the problem is that in the second observation of the BY group the retained value of HPIscore from HPI_HPL is overwritten with the new value read from PREFINAL_MISSING and it is never restored, while more values from PREFINAL_MISSING are read in subsequent observations of the BY group -- apparently missing values in your case.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation