BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tony_Lung
Calcite | Level 5

I was hoping someone could help me with a workaround for this. I installed SAS Studio with the University license to go through the "SAS Programming for R Users" course. When running the code from the demonstration file "SP4R01d01.sas" I ran into an error whenever I ran the following lines together.

ods listing;
ods select basicmeasures histogram qqplot;
proc univariate data=work.birth;
   var bwt;
   histogram bwt / normal(mu=est sigma=est);   
   qqplot bwt / normal(mu=est sigma=est);
run;

Whenever I ran these lines together the proc univariate would fail after the first chart, I would see the following errors in the log, and the qqplot would not be produced.

WARNING: GPATH or PATH is not a writable directory. It will be ignored.
ERROR: Cannot write image to SlantFactor. Please ensure that proper disk permissions are set.
ERROR: Cannot write image to SlantFactor. Please ensure that proper disk permissions are set.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
WARNING: Output 'qqplot' was not created. Make sure that the output object name, label, or path is spelled correctly. Also,
verify that the appropriate procedure options are used to produce the requested output object. For example, verify that
the NOPRINT option is not used.

When I highlighted "ods listing;" and ran that code, then subsequently highlighted and ran the remainder of the steps the proc univariate call completed successfully and generated all the charts without warnings or errors. I don't want to manually run scripts in pieces. Does anyone know a way around this? 

FYI - I got the demo file for the course from github. I have attached the whole script to be sure you have the underlying data set.

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User

I think the course was designed for a different implementation, in SAS UE, you will need to provide a file path for the ODS LISTING destination as well as the graphics path. 

ods listing file = '/folder/myfolders/myCourseOutput.lst' gpath = '/folders/myfolders/temp/';

Then to see the output you'll have to check the listing, though the HTML output should be almost identical. 

Note that if you don't have the temp folder in my folders, you may want to create it. I did explicitly for examples like this so I can just clean them up periodically.

@Tony_Lung wrote:

I was hoping someone could help me with a workaround for this. I installed SAS Studio with the University license to go through the "SAS Programming for R Users" course. When running the code from the demonstration file "SP4R01d01.sas" I ran into an error whenever I ran the following lines together.

ods listing;
ods select basicmeasures histogram qqplot;
proc univariate data=work.birth;
   var bwt;
   histogram bwt / normal(mu=est sigma=est);   
   qqplot bwt / normal(mu=est sigma=est);
run;

Whenever I ran these lines together the proc univariate would fail after the first chart, I would see the following errors in the log, and the qqplot would not be produced.

WARNING: GPATH or PATH is not a writable directory. It will be ignored.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
WARNING: Output 'qqplot' was not created. Make sure that the output object name, label, or path is spelled correctly. Also,
verify that the appropriate procedure options are used to produce the requested output object. For example, verify that
the NOPRINT option is not used.

When I highlighted "ods listing;" and ran that code, then subsequently highlighted and ran the remainder of the steps the proc univariate call completed successfully and generated all the charts without warnings or errors. I don't want to manually run scripts in pieces. Does anyone know a way around this? 

FYI - I got the demo file for the course from github. I have attached the whole script to be sure you have the underlying data set.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation