BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LMSSAS
Quartz | Level 8

I have a SAS data set that I'm exporting to excel using ODS and it is dropping the leading zeros. Below is my code, I am not getting an error but the data is still dropping the zeros, as if it isn't recognizing the code. The variable I am working with trying to keep the leading zeros is "Group" and even though it is numbers it is a Char in SAS.

ods excel file="/prod/SalesOperations/appdata/shared/Blue_Vision_Master_Renewal.xlsx" options (autofilter='all' sheet_name="Current_Month_Renewals");
ods excel options(sheet_name="RBMS_Health" autofilter='all');
proc report data=RBMS_BVMR;
Define Group / display Group 
style(Column)=[font_size=8pt width=.7in tagattr='Format:@'];
run;

ods excel options(sheet_name="Dental" autofilter='all');
proc report data=RBMS_HPS_DENTAL_FINAL;
run;

ods excel options(sheet_name="Vision" autofilter='all');
proc report data=RBMS_HPS_VISION_FINAL;
run;

ods excel options(sheet_name="Life" autofilter='all');
proc report data=Life;
run;
ods excel close;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Found the issue.   https://support.sas.com/kb/57/620.html

It seems that ODS EXCEL is ignoring the format:text tag.  Instead you need to set type=String

style(Column)=[font_size=8pt width=.7in tagattr='type:String']
;

As to why attaching a format to the variable and/or report column makes any difference I am still not sure.  It must be that somehow PROC REPORT is for whatever random reason changing the TYPE it sets for the cell to string only when you have a format attached the variable (either in the source dataset or in the DEFINE statement) even if the variable is a character variable.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Try adding a FORMAT= option to your DEFINE statement.

Not sure why it works.

data test;
  id = put(_n_,z5.);
  set sashelp.class;
run;

ods excel file='c:\downloads\zeros.xlsx'
  options 
   (autofilter='all' sheet_name="Current_Month_Renewals")
;
proc report data=test;
  define id / display Group format=$5. style(Column)=[font_size=8pt width=.7in tagattr='Format:@'];
run;

ods excel close;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

This really seems like a bug in PROC REPORT and/or ODS EXCEL.

Just attaching the $ format to a character variable causes the cell to be properly configured in EXCEL as containing text instead of numbers.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Found the issue.   https://support.sas.com/kb/57/620.html

It seems that ODS EXCEL is ignoring the format:text tag.  Instead you need to set type=String

style(Column)=[font_size=8pt width=.7in tagattr='type:String']
;

As to why attaching a format to the variable and/or report column makes any difference I am still not sure.  It must be that somehow PROC REPORT is for whatever random reason changing the TYPE it sets for the cell to string only when you have a format attached the variable (either in the source dataset or in the DEFINE statement) even if the variable is a character variable.

LMSSAS
Quartz | Level 8
Tom, Thank you, this worked!!

I appreciate the help 🙂
LMSSAS
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you for your time!

ballardw
Super User

@Tom 

My guess is that with the explicit character format=$5.means when SAS creates the output it knows that the result sets the variable type in the xml hidden to the proper type in the XLSX file. Otherwise a "general" field is likely created for the Excel regardless of variable type, which will treat values like "000123" as a numeric 123. The question may be why the default Format  is insufficient to do the same thing unless the default format for the OP is a custom format.

I vaguely remember a solution to an ODS EXCELXP question that was similar where the issue was regardless of the TAGATTR format the type that appeared in the created XML was incorrect. I don't recall the specific syntax but a type:'string' or similar had to be added to the TAGATTR options.

@Tom wrote:

Try adding a FORMAT= option to your DEFINE statement.

Not sure why it works.

data test;
  id = put(_n_,z5.);
  set sashelp.class;
run;

ods excel file='c:\downloads\zeros.xlsx'
  options 
   (autofilter='all' sheet_name="Current_Month_Renewals")
;
proc report data=test;
  define id / display Group format=$5. style(Column)=[font_size=8pt width=.7in tagattr='Format:@'];
run;

ods excel close;

LMSSAS
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you for your time!
LMSSAS
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you for your time !
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @LMSSAS 

I had a lot of trouble with that too. In Denmark Socia Security Numbers are 10 digits, first digit is often a zero, and it is stored as Char in SAS.

I didn't succeded in preserving the leading zero until I discovered that it works if the SSN is converted to a Numeric variable and given the format Z10. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation