BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jagadeesh2907
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi ,

I am trying to execute the code 

data sample;
input @3 tlr_table_name :$30.
tlr_date :yymmdd10.
tlr_time :hhmmss8.
tlr_record_count :6.;

cnt_trl + 1;
call symputx("sox_bsac_cnt",tlr_record_count,g);
run;

when running the code i am getting the below note in the log and points to the call symput line.

NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).

i can clearly see because the variable "tlr_record_count" is numeric and we are assigning it to a macro, sas is doing the conversion and displaying the note. I changed the call symput like below, but i still get the same message. 

call symputx("sox_bsac_cnt",put(tlr_record_count,6.),g);

Can you help me understand this why and also let me know how i can overcome this note.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The problem is not with the data you want to put into the macro variable, but with the third argument to call symputx:

g is obviously not a string literal, but a variable name; since this variable is not defined anywhere else, it is created as numeric with a missing value.

You want to specifiy a string literal:

call symputx("sox_bsac_cnt",tlr_record_count,'g');

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you are using call symputx,  If value is numeric, SAS converts the value to a character string using the BEST. format and does not issue a note to the SAS log. Leading and trailing blanks are removed, and the resulting character string is assigned to the macro variable. --Reference SAS documentation

Posting some sample data woud help to test.

Try this slight modification  'g' in quotes

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The problem is not with the data you want to put into the macro variable, but with the third argument to call symputx:

g is obviously not a string literal, but a variable name; since this variable is not defined anywhere else, it is created as numeric with a missing value.

You want to specifiy a string literal:

Jagadeesh2907
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you Kurt. I am using call symputx since the third parameter G makes the variable to be in Global table. Is my understanding correct ?
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Jagadeesh2907 wrote:
Thank you Kurt. I am using call symputx since the third parameter G makes the variable to be in Global table. Is my understanding correct ?

Yes. Just make 'g' a string to make it work.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation