BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
iSAS
Quartz | Level 8

I have a .xlsx file that has this column:

LastAccessTimeStamp
3/23/2021 14:15

When I do proc import, the output was this:

LastAccessTimeStamp

May I know what should be done to convert it from numeric to date with format datetime16. ?

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In a DATA step, or in PROC DATASETS, assign the datetime16. format to this variable.

--
Paige Miller
iSAS
Quartz | Level 8
I did this after the proc import but it didn't work:
Data raw1;
Set raw (rename=(LastAccessTimeStamp=LastAccessTimeStamp1));
LastAccessTimeStamp=input(put(LastAccessTimeStamp1,8.6),datetime16.);
run;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You want to assign a format to the variable. INPUT(PUT()) doesn't seem like it should work, to me.

--
Paige Miller
jonas_bilenas
Fluorite | Level 6

DATA raw;

SET raw;

FORMAT LastAccessTimeStamp datetime16.;

RUN;;

Jonas V. Bilenas
iSAS
Quartz | Level 8
I also did this after the proc import but all the values just turned into 01JAN60:hh:mm:ss
Data raw1;
Set raw;
format LastAccessTimeStamp datetime16.;
run;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

These are neither SAS date values nor SAS datetime values. So you will have to do the conversion and then assign the proper formats.

Data raw1;
    set raw;
    time=(lastaccesstimestamp-floor(lastaccesstimestamp))*24*60*60; /* Convert decimal part of the date into seconds */
    date=floor(lastaccesstimestamp)-21916; /* Convert Excel date to SAS date */
    format date date9. time time.;
run;

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So it looks like you are trying to say the cells in the XLSX file for that column have numbers like 44,278.89847 that when displayed using one of Excel's datetiime formats looks like the string '3/23/2021 14:15'.  Excel stores datetime values as the number of days and fractions of a day since 1900.

If all of the cells in that column had values like that then SAS would have created a numeric value with datetime values converted to the SAS equivalent number of seconds since 1960.  If it did that then the values would NOT look like 44278.89847.

So I assume that what happened is that one or more cells in that column contained a character string. So SAS defined LastAccessTimeStamp as a character variable and stored the numbers as a digit string that represents that number.

To fix that convert the string to a number, adjust for difference in starting day between the two systems, and convert the days + fraction of day into seconds.

data want;
  set have;
  format real_LastAccessTimeStamp datetime20. ;
  real_LastAccessTimeStamp= dhms(input(LastAccessTimeStamp,32.)+'30DEC1899'd,0,0,0);
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation