BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

Hello:

I use next/prior logic in Brio and looking to build same logic in SAS. I'm looking to create column Next Match(below) and Prior match. Here is my what I asking for help with:

Next match:

if(Duplicate=0 and (End_Date=Next(Create_date))) then 'No Break'
elseif(ID_No=Next(ID_No) and (End_Date != Next(Create_date))) then'After few Days'

Prior match:

if(ID_No=Prior(ID_No) and (Create_date=Prior(End_Date))) then 'No Break'
else if(ID_No=Prior(ID_No) and (Create_date != Prior(End_Date))) then 'After few Days'

Thank you!

Acct No ID No Duplicate Create date End Date Next Match Prior Match
486 486 1 20201106 20201113    
177 177 1 20210105 20210111    
126 126 1 20200812 20201027    
651 651-001 0 20200923 20200928 No Break  
651 651-001 1 20200928 20210119   No Break
390 390 1 20201208 20201214    
229 229 1 20201112 20201211    
411 411 1 20200804 20200814    
674 674-001 0 20201009 20201104 No Break  
674 647-001 1 20201104 20201105   No Break
681 681 1 20201023 20201113    
19 19 0 20200730 20200819 No Break  
19 19 1 20200819 20201105   No Break
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

This is untested since you have not put your sample data into the form of a working sas data step (translation: help us help you).

Let's assume:

1. you have a dataset named HAVE with variable names corresponding to your table header.
  2. dataset HAVE is grouped (not necessarily in ascending or descending order) by ID_NO.
  3. Whenever duplicate=0 there is always a subsequent record with the same ID_NO (I infer that from your rule statement):

Then this sas program is untested, but shows the logic as I understand your rules:

data want (drop=_:);
  set have (keep=id_no);
  by id_no notsorted;    /* Added the notsorted, edit*/

merge have have (firstobs=2 keep=create_date rename=(create_date=nxt_crdate));

length newvar newvar_prior $20; /* Also editted addition */
  if duplicate=0 and end_date=nxt_crdate then newvar='No Break';
  else if last.id_no=0 and end_date^=nxt_crdate then newvar='After few Days';

_lag_end_date=lag1(end_date);
  if first.id_no=0 then do;
     if create_date=_lag_end_date then newvar_prior='No Break';
     else newvar_prior='After few Days';
  end;
run;

1. The SET HAVE statement reads only one variable, ID_NO.  It is succeeded with a BY ID_NO NOTSORTED statement, which tells sas to create two temporary dummy variables (first.id_no and last.id_no) indicating whether the observation-in-hand is the first and/or the last for the current ID_NO.

2. The self-merge statement reads all the variables from the current OBS and one variable (create_date renamed to nxt_crdate) from the next obs.  This provides a way to look ahead at the next date.

3. The "if duplicate=0 ..." and "else if last.id_no=0 ..." statements imitates your rule descriptions.

4. The lag1(end_date) function creates a fifo queue (1 level deep) that, in this case, returns the prior end_date value.  

5. The second pair of "if ...",  "else if" imitate your rule descriptions.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mkeintz
PROC Star

This is untested since you have not put your sample data into the form of a working sas data step (translation: help us help you).

Let's assume:

1. you have a dataset named HAVE with variable names corresponding to your table header.
  2. dataset HAVE is grouped (not necessarily in ascending or descending order) by ID_NO.
  3. Whenever duplicate=0 there is always a subsequent record with the same ID_NO (I infer that from your rule statement):

Then this sas program is untested, but shows the logic as I understand your rules:

data want (drop=_:);
  set have (keep=id_no);
  by id_no notsorted;    /* Added the notsorted, edit*/

merge have have (firstobs=2 keep=create_date rename=(create_date=nxt_crdate));

length newvar newvar_prior $20; /* Also editted addition */
  if duplicate=0 and end_date=nxt_crdate then newvar='No Break';
  else if last.id_no=0 and end_date^=nxt_crdate then newvar='After few Days';

_lag_end_date=lag1(end_date);
  if first.id_no=0 then do;
     if create_date=_lag_end_date then newvar_prior='No Break';
     else newvar_prior='After few Days';
  end;
run;

1. The SET HAVE statement reads only one variable, ID_NO.  It is succeeded with a BY ID_NO NOTSORTED statement, which tells sas to create two temporary dummy variables (first.id_no and last.id_no) indicating whether the observation-in-hand is the first and/or the last for the current ID_NO.

2. The self-merge statement reads all the variables from the current OBS and one variable (create_date renamed to nxt_crdate) from the next obs.  This provides a way to look ahead at the next date.

3. The "if duplicate=0 ..." and "else if last.id_no=0 ..." statements imitates your rule descriptions.

4. The lag1(end_date) function creates a fifo queue (1 level deep) that, in this case, returns the prior end_date value.  

5. The second pair of "if ...",  "else if" imitate your rule descriptions.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

sasuser_sk
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you! It worked fine.

I'm unsure on what format is the sample data accepted into SAS Community  so that others could use it for programming purposes. I copy/pasted from Excel. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation