BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wernie
Quartz | Level 8

I have a file where I need to expand to include all counties.

The first file that has the data I need (start and end month and days) does NOT have all counties. It looks like this:

STATE   COUNTY    FIPS5    START_MONTH   START_DAY  END_MONTH    END_DAY

01                                 01              3                           1                       10                      31

01             073         01073             1                           1                       12                      31

02                                 02              4                           1                       10                      30

02             090         02090             1                           1                       12                      31   

04                                 04              1                           1                       12                      31

04             005         04005             1                           1                       12                      31

04             007         04007             1                           1                       12                      31

I need to merge this with a file that has all state and county codes to fill in values for ALL counties. I just want to be able to expand the counties in the new file and wherever the county value is blank, I want to apply the start_month, start_day, end_month, and end_day values to those expanded counties, while leaving the values for the rows where county DOES have a value in the data file.

Essentially, I want to expand the new file to look something like this (dots are just to continue rows up to observation where something would be different):

STATE   COUNTY  FIPS5    START_MONTH   START_DAY  END_MONTH    END_DAY

01             001             01001         3                           1                       10                      31

01             003             01003         3                           1                       10                      31

01             005             01005         3                           1                       10                      31

01             007             01007         3                           1                       10                      31

…           ……..               .                             .                        ..                        ..

01             073             01073         1                           1                       12                      31

02             013             02013         4                           1                       10                      30

02             016             02016         4                           1                       10                      30

…           ……..               .                             .                       ..                         ..

02             090             02090         1                           1                       12                      31

I hope this makes sense. How can I expand to fill in all county values? I'm thinking to take a county reference file and merge by county and that might fill in the counties where they aren't listed, but I still need to retain the counties that have a different start and end month and day. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

To begin with you don't have County in the first data set so it is not obvious what is going on.

I can guess that your Fips5 is related to county but you should really provide a complete description.

And since your second set is missing values for county as presented it gets even harder to tell what is going on.

wernie
Quartz | Level 8
Edited original post. I just need to be able to expand the counties in the dataset to have all counties included (could merge with some county reference file).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation