BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
yoyong
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone.

I have the following two sets of variables:

A1_1                A1_2          A1_3..........A1_10                     

A2_1                A2_2          A2_3..........A2_10

.                          .                 .                   .

A10_1               A10_2         A10_3       A10_10   where the possible categories are 1 = good, 2 = better,

and 3 = best

B1_1                B1_2          B1_3..........B1_10                     

B2_1                B2_2          B2_3..........B2_10

B10_1               B10_2         B10_3       B10_10   where the possible categories are 1 = yes and 2 = no

I need to pair up two variables and do a PROC FREQ:

A1_1 and B1_1

A1_2 and B1_2

A1_3 and B1_3

A10_10 and B10_10 where I just need to get 3 = best and 1 = yes.

How do I code this in such a way I don't have to do multiple PROC FREQ and SORT commands?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

You apparently want to produce100 cross tabulations:  A1_1*B1_1 A1_2*B1_2 .... A10_10*B10_10.As @Reeza said a macro can save you from typing out 100 crosstab expressions:

%macro xtab_list;
   %do i=1 %to 10; %do j=1 %to 10;  A&i._&j * B&i._&j %end;%end;
%mend xtab_list;

proc freq data=have;
  table %xtab_list ;
run;
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Sort isn't necessary for PROC FREQ but I suspect a macro is what you'll need here. You may also want to think about how you want to store your data. I suspect you don't want to see all that output in the results window. 

A macro loop is relatively easy, but how you want to store the results does affect how it's designed. It may also b easier to restructure your data. Set the second number to be an variable and then do a cross between A and B.

@yoyong wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have the following two sets of variables:

A1_1                A1_2          A1_3..........A1_10                     

A2_1                A2_2          A2_3..........A2_10

A10_1               A10_2         A10_3       A10_10   where the possible categories are 1 = good, 2 = better,

and 3 = best

B1_1                B1_2          B1_3..........B1_10                     

B2_1                B2_2          B2_3..........B2_10

B10_1               B10_2         B10_3       B10_10   where the possible categories are 1 = yes and 2 = no

I need to pair up two variables and do a PROC FREQ:

A1_1 and B1_1

A1_2 and B1_2

A1_3 and B1_3

A10_10 and B10_10 where I just need to get 3 = best and 1 = yes.

How do I code this in such a way I don't have to do multiple PROC FREQ and SORT commands?

Thank you very much.

yoyong
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Reeza,

Not sure what you meant by "Set the second number to be an variable and then do a cross between A and B".

As for the output, I would want something like this:

PAIR                                    CATEGORIES                         YES       NO                                    

A1_1 , B1_1                                      Good                                  

Better

Best 

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

@yoyong wrote:

Hi @Reeza,

Not sure what you meant by "Set the second number to be an variable and then do a cross between A and B".

As for the output, I would want something like this:

PAIR                                    CATEGORIES                         YES       NO                                    

A1_1 , B1_1                                      Good                                  

Better

Best 

Thanks.

What about the next step? Are you looking for just the results into a result/HTML window or a data set output?

mkeintz
PROC Star

You apparently want to produce100 cross tabulations:  A1_1*B1_1 A1_2*B1_2 .... A10_10*B10_10.As @Reeza said a macro can save you from typing out 100 crosstab expressions:

%macro xtab_list;
   %do i=1 %to 10; %do j=1 %to 10;  A&i._&j * B&i._&j %end;%end;
%mend xtab_list;

proc freq data=have;
  table %xtab_list ;
run;
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

ballardw
Super User
data _null_;
   call execute ('Proc Freq data=have;');
   length string $ 75;
   do i= 1 to 10;
      do j=1 to 10;
      string = catx(' ','tables',catt('A',i,'_',j),'*',catt('B',i,'_',j),';' );
      call execute(string);;
      end;
   end;
   call execute ('run;');
run;

Will do the tables.

I suspect you might A10_10 and B10_10 where I just need to get 3 = best and 1 = yes. as a separate Proc Freq call using a WHERE statement to subset the data.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation