BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Novice_
Fluorite | Level 6

I have two datasets with an id variable to merge them with.

Data1:

variable name=id

variable type=character

length 255

format $255.

informat $255.

Data2:

variable name=patid

variable type= numeric

length 8

format 11.

informat 11.

I tried to use the following code to convert the numeric variable in data 2 to character for merging:

data new;
set data2;
id=put(patid, $255.);
run;

However, it gives me the following error:

ERROR 29-185: Width specified for format is invalid.

I tried a format with shorter length and then tried merging. The complete code is below:

data new;
set data2;
id=put(patid, $3.);
run;

proc sort data=data1; 

by id; 

run;

proc sort data=new;

by id;

run;

Data final;
merge data1(in=in1) new (in=in2);
by id;
if in1;
run;

The above code runs but for the variables within the data new, I am getting missing values in the final table. So the merge was actually not successful. Can anyone please help me what to do? Thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10
Astounding
PROC Star

You will need to find out more about your data to make this happen.

While your variable is $255 in the first data set, how many characters are actually needed?  Are all the values left-hand-justified?

You will need to produce an exact match between the two data sets, so you need to know what is in your data.

Novice_
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for replying. These are SAS datasets stored in a SAS server as such. How do I check more details on the said variable?
Novice_
Fluorite | Level 6

The variable patid prints as below: 

Novice__0-1658182170038.png

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Both of the variable specifications point to an unstable data import process. How does your data arrive in SAS?

The fact that the numeric variant has a format of 11. lets me suspect that the id values are 11-digit strings, but you need to verify that with the character variant.

Novice_
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for the reply. These are SAS datasets in a SAS server
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then you must first get to really Know Your Data (Maxim 3). See how the IDs are stored in the character variant. Are they left- or right-aligned? Is there a constant number of digits, or does this change? Are there leading zeroes?

If you provide sufficient examples, we can help you further.

Although you work with SAS datasets, this does not mean the data originated in SAS (nobody uses SAS to run a business database). So I still hold it that the process that gets the data from the original source into SAS is flawed.

Novice_
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your reply. It seems it is left aligned. All ids have 3 characters. I so not see any leading zeros but I am not sure if there are blanks after. The variable prints as below:

Novice__0-1658182344694.png

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Novice_ wrote:

Thank you for your reply. It seems it is left aligned. All ids have 3 characters. I so not see any leading zeros but I am not sure if there are blanks after. The variable prints as below:

Novice__0-1658182344694.png

You cannot tell if the values are left aligned from looking at that photograph.  The ODS output engine "eats" leading spaces.

Either print the value to plain old text output.

Or print the values using $QUOTE or $HEX format so you can see if there are leading spaces.

Bibishan_Rathod
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Team, I also having the same issue I want merging 5 table by using (in=). And renaming the variable and using the by statement  by using the (=) is its works.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Bibishan_Rathod wrote:

Hi Team, I also having the same issue I want merging 5 table by using (in=). And renaming the variable and using the by statement  by using the (=) is its works.

Hello. I'm glad you are trying to help, but this is really way to brief to understand. Its really unclear what problem you are trying solve, and I don't understand the solution you describe. Please spend more time on this and explain in detail, with example data and with actual code.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation