BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
znhnm
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

I have a table something like this:

Customer

Number

Amount

A

X

A

X

A

Y

B

W

B

Z

B

Z

I want to create this:

Customer

Number

Amount

Total Amount

A

Y

B

W

The goal is to find the highesr amount for each customer then also create a column to sum up the total for each customer. How could I do that?

I can think about the first. option but I am not sure about the syntax. I'd appreciate any support. Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Try this

data have;
input Customer $ Number $ Amount;
datalines;
A X 10
A X 20
A Y 70
B W 40
B Z 20
B Z 30
;

proc sort data = have;
   by Customer Amount;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   by Customer Amount;
   if first.Customer then total = 0;
   total + Amount;
   if last.Customer;
run;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Try this

data have;
input Customer $ Number $ Amount;
datalines;
A X 10
A X 20
A Y 70
B W 40
B Z 20
B Z 30
;

proc sort data = have;
   by Customer Amount;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   by Customer Amount;
   if first.Customer then total = 0;
   total + Amount;
   if last.Customer;
run;
znhnm
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you so much! The first. works. I mean, I can get the highest amount for each customer. However, for the total, all I see is 0. Can you think of a reason why?
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Did you run my code exactly as posted?

znhnm
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you so much! I had a typo and when I fixed it to be exactly the same with your suggestion, it run perfectly. Thanks!
ballardw
Super User

@znhnm wrote:

Hi, 

I have a table something like this:

Customer

Number

Amount

A

X

A

X

A

Y

B

W

B

Z

B

Z

I want to create this:

Customer

Number

Amount

Total Amount

A

Y

B

W

The goal is to find the highesr amount for each customer then also create a column to sum up the total for each customer. How could I do that?

I can think about the first. option but I am not sure about the syntax. I'd appreciate any support. Thanks! 

One way:

proc summary data=have nway;
   class customer;
   var amount;
   output out=want(drop=_:)
       max(amount)=Amount sum(amount)=totalamount
       maxid(amount(Number))=Number
   ;
run;

The procedures Means and Summary have many options for getting statistics of multiple variables by groups.

They also include, as shown, ways to get the value of an identification variable (or multiple variables) that would be the identification value of a Max or Min value (which appears to be  desired but was not even mentioned in your problem description).

The Drop=_: data set option removes to two other variables _type_ and _freq_ that would indicate the combination of class or by variables and the count of records used. The Nway option results in only the combination of all Class or By variables. The procedure if you did not include the option would have an additional row of data that included the summary variables for all records as well.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In my opinion, PROC SUMMARY is definitely the way to go, instead of using a DATA step. All of the necessary calculations have been built into PROC SUMMARY, debugged and tested, and handle missing values properly; whereas in a data step, you would have to do the debugging and testing and handling of missing values yourself. 

--
Paige Miller
znhnm
Quartz | Level 8
I had no idea about these details. Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation