BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mohd-danshaik
Fluorite | Level 6

Can qlikview access SAS SPDS materialized views or would we have to create a SAS SPDS table for the same? What would be faster a materialized view or creating a table?

5 REPLIES 5
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

I assume that when you access data from an SPDS server, this is done not by reading the physical file, but by connecting with the server and have it deliver the data. So I guess that you can access both materialized views and normal views from the server.

mohd-danshaik
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks lassen. I have tried to create the materialized views in SAS DI.
But when I open the materialized view I found that it taking the same time to open as the normal view.
Is it that it will take time once and after that it will open quickly since it holds the output in a temporary table?
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

Yes, that is the way things normally work with material views - unless you make changes to the underlying tables, then the view will run more slowly.

Is your problem that creating the view takes a lot of time, or is it that the access to it takes a lot of time? In the latter case, the problem may be that some of the underlying tables were updated after the materialized view had been created. Depends on the setting on the server (and what kind of server you are using, e.g. Oracle and MS SQL also have materialized views), but often the materialized view is not updated until you access it, unless you update the view explicitly. You will have to look that up in the SPDS documentation.

mohd-danshaik
Fluorite | Level 6
Qlik is not able to access the materialized views that we have created in the SAS Spds.

It could be due to the fact that qlik doesn't run queries to extract data in SAS SPDS. It only reads the data from SAS tables in qlik. Similar to an implicit sql pass thru where the query is not run in the database.
And as materialized views need to be accessed through database queries, qlik is not able to read data.

Thoughts?
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

My first thought is to access SPDS via ODBC, not via "SAS" if I understand what you have tried correctly.

Data never sleeps

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation