BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Talat
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have almost 11 sets (month specific) of 30 access datasets (.accdb), each having one table (the name of the dataset (1 to 30) and table (sunday-saturday) are different).  Need to covert them to SAS dataset.I can do it one by one but does anyone has  a macro that can be used to convert those.

All tables have exactly same variables with repeated information on same IDs. Even if I could somehow collapse all the access dataset as one then I could convert that final dataset to SAS.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thx, talat

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you use a LIBNAME statement to read one Access database at a time, then use PROC COPY or PROC DATASETS with the COPY statement to copy all of the Access tables in that database in one go.

Talat
Fluorite | Level 6

Can you please give a code as an example? At the end I need a macro code.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Show the code you use to convert one of the tables into a SAS dataset.

You can then use simple code generation to create code to that will read from different access tables and create different SAS datasets.

Talat
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Tom,

I have the following code:

%macro alridat(dat,tab);

pROC IMPORT OUT=Mydata.&tab.1
DATATABLE='&tab'
DBMS=ACCESS REPLACE;
DATABASE="c:\test\sep_18\&dat..accdb";
USEDATE=YES;
SCANTIME=NO;
DBSASLABEL=NONE;
RUN;

%mend;

%alridat(1,Sunday);

I then can create a list of %alridat () commands using excel but surely I can do some sort of loop and array to get it done in sas to go through 1-30 for the files and for each file to search  if there are any table names with sunday to saturday to be read in as sas files.

Thanks, talat 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try this:

libname MyAccDB ACCESS "c:\test\sep_18\&dat..accdb";

proc datasets library = WORK nolist;
  copy in = MyAccDB out = WORK;
  run;
quit;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Looks like you have already started to try to convert the code that works for one file into a macro.

The posted macro probably will not work.  I doubt that your table in the Access file is literally named &tab (the macro processor does not process strings bounded by single quotes, use double quotes instead!).

So it sounds like you are saying there are 30 files you want to convert. 

What are the names of the files?  Are they literally '1.accdb' , '2.accdb' .... '30.accdb' ?

That is easy to code:

do i=1 to 30;
   name = cats(i,'.accdb');
end;

What are the names of the table(s) in the files?  Are they always named Sunday?  or does each file have multiple tables?  Does every file have the same number of tables?

Also what is with the folder that looks like it might be referencing some day in September?  

Or is that supposed to mean September 2018? (or perhaps September 1918?) then the 1,2,3,...30 are the days of the month in September?

Talat
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Tom! I will try the suggestions you ans SASkiwi made.

Talat
Fluorite | Level 6

What are the names of the table(s) in the files? Are they always named Sunday? or does each file have multiple tables? Does every file have the same number of tables?

- Files are  named as 1-31. Tables can be any of the weekdays. One file can have multiple tables.

Also what is with the folder that looks like it might be referencing some day in September?

- I have 11 folders each containing 28-31 files from Nov 17-Sept18. (nov 2017 to Sept 2018)

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation