BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TS_Hum
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to identify a list of table containing certain values in their names (relying on an internal naming convention).  My attempt is failing and I believe it's likely a simple syntax error, but I am just not seeing it.  I am trying to use variables (second block of code below) to replicate the results received when using direct entry (first block).  Please help!

/******************This version works*******************/
PROC SQL;
SELECT *
FROM DICTIONARY.TABLES
where memtype = 'DATA'
and memname like '%0621%'
and memname like '%TJR%';
QUIT;

/******************This version does not*******************/
%let RUN = 0621;
%LET BUNDLE = TJR;

PROC SQL;
SELECT *
FROM DICTIONARY.TABLES
where memtype = 'DATA'
and memname like "%&RUN%"
and memname like "%&BUNDLE%";
QUIT;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

The warning you should have gotten in the log

58   and memname like "%&BUNDLE%";
WARNING: Apparent invocation of macro TJR not resolved.
NOTE: No rows were selected.
59   QUIT;

gives you clue about it involves macro resolution and %anytext would reference a macro named Anytext.

Try

%let RUN = 0621;
%LET BUNDLE = TJR;

PROC SQL;
SELECT *
FROM DICTIONARY.TABLES
where memtype = 'DATA'
and memname like "%%&BUNDLE%";
QUIT;

The double %% is sort of an escape to avoid the resolved value of Bundle treated as a macro call.

You may need to do the same with RUN. It didn't have an issue with your explicit example because 0621 is not a valid macro name. If the value of Run was something that starts with a letter or _ underscore it will generate the same "not resolved message".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try this:

%let RUN = 0621;
%LET BUNDLE = TJR;

PROC SQL;
SELECT *
FROM DICTIONARY.TABLES
where memtype = 'DATA'
and memname like "%&RUN.%"
and memname like "%&BUNDLE.%";
QUIT;
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Actually this is probably better:

%let RUN = 0621;
%LET BUNDLE = TJR;

PROC SQL;
SELECT *
FROM DICTIONARY.TABLES
where memtype = 'DATA'
and memname like "%str(%)&RUN%str(%)"
and memname like "%str(%)&BUNDLE%str(%)";
QUIT;
ballardw
Super User

The warning you should have gotten in the log

58   and memname like "%&BUNDLE%";
WARNING: Apparent invocation of macro TJR not resolved.
NOTE: No rows were selected.
59   QUIT;

gives you clue about it involves macro resolution and %anytext would reference a macro named Anytext.

Try

%let RUN = 0621;
%LET BUNDLE = TJR;

PROC SQL;
SELECT *
FROM DICTIONARY.TABLES
where memtype = 'DATA'
and memname like "%%&BUNDLE%";
QUIT;

The double %% is sort of an escape to avoid the resolved value of Bundle treated as a macro call.

You may need to do the same with RUN. It didn't have an issue with your explicit example because 0621 is not a valid macro name. If the value of Run was something that starts with a letter or _ underscore it will generate the same "not resolved message".

TS_Hum
Fluorite | Level 6
That was it! Thanks so much for taking a look. It hadn't occurred to me that the wildcard in SQL happens to also match the syntax for calling a macro. My background is in SQL and VBA/VB, but I've only been into SAS for a month or so. It's taking a little while to get used to focusing as much on the log as the results window. There's nothing quite like staring at a piece of code for hours/days only to find I've missed a single character. This is the first time I actually got on a forum and asked for help. Thanks again!
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@TS_Hum wrote:
That was it! Thanks so much for taking a look. It hadn't occurred to me that the wildcard in SQL happens to also match the syntax for calling a macro. My background is in SQL and VBA/VB, but I've only been into SAS for a month or so. It's taking a little while to get used to focusing as much on the log as the results window. There's nothing quite like staring at a piece of code for hours/days only to find I've missed a single character. This is the first time I actually got on a forum and asked for help. Thanks again!

The SAS log is your friend.  As much as we all complain about issues we might have with the SAS log it is still the best I have seen for any programming system I have used.

tarheel13
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

What did the log say? 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

1.Suggest using an OR instead of AND before the second memname as shown below

PROC SQL;
SELECT *
FROM DICTIONARY.TABLES
where memtype = 'DATA'
and memname like "%&RUN.%"
OR  memname like "%TJR%";
QUIT;

You may not be having any dataset with with string TJR in it.
I replaced TJR with CL and it worked.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation