BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
windlove
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I came across the following macro function (shortened), but don't know what it should be called or what I should look for to understand more of it.

%macro CIpoisson(cl, x, N, base, rate, ll,lu);
	if (&x) < 0 then
	do;  
		&rate = .;
   		&ll = .;
   		&lu = .;
	end;
	else if not(0 < (&cl) < 1) then
	do;
		&rate = (&base)*(&x)/(&N);
		&ll = .;
   		&lu = .;
	end; 
   else do;
   &xx = ...;
   end;
%mend;

And it works like

data test;
 	input obs denominator;
	datalines;
	-1 100
	46 7400
	3210 762787
	14 400
;
run;

data tempb;
set test;
%cipoiss(0.95,obs,denominator,1000, rate,ll,lu);
run;

It looks like all the variables serve as data holders or reference variables.

Are there any reference books that introduce such macro programmings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@windlove wrote:

I think my confusion is around

rate, ll, lu

these three parameters, in which they are macros, but serve as variable names as well.

Hi @windlove,

In the macro definition (%macro CIpoisson(...)...) these are names of macro parameters (i.e. macro variables). In the macro call (%CIpoisson(...)) these are text strings which happen to coincide with the parameter names (unlike obs vs. x and denominator vs. N) and which are passed as values to those macro variables and eventually used as names of DATA step variables in the DATA step code generated by the macro. Thus the user has the flexibility to choose arbitrary variable names, e.g., UCL for lu. This can be useful, for example, if there was already an existing variable named lu in dataset test so that hardcoding "lu" (instead of "&lu") in the macro code would cause a name conflict.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The developer should have included documentation with his macro.

As it is, we can see that it performs calculations in a data step.

Turn option MPRINT on to see the code generated by the macro in the log.

As for learning the SAS macro language, there are many resources on the web.

The macro here doesn't do a lot, so is a good way to get your toes wet.

It simply adds code to the data step using the values given as parameters.

windlove
Fluorite | Level 6

rate, ll, lu

these three parameters, in which they are macros, but serve as variable names as well.

Because they are doing nothing in the function arguments, but only get updated once the calculation done.

The way how they are being used here looks exactly like pass-by-reference in C++.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

If some better formatting rules were used, such as macro language in lower case, and user names (tables variables) in uppercase, the syntax would become more obvious.

data TEMP;
  set TEST;
  %cipoiss(0.95,OBS,DENOMINATOR,1000, RATE, LL, LU);
run;

You can see that some values are hard-coded, while other values use whatever values are in the variables defined.

This will also be visible in the log in the code generated by option MPRINT.

windlove
Fluorite | Level 6

Looks like, without rate, ll, lu in the macro argument works too. Just wondering whether they are redundant in the original code or there is any benefits to put them there.

%macro cipoiss2(x, D);
	if &x < 0 then do;
		rate = .;
		ll = .;
		lu = .;
	end;
	else do;
		rate = &x/&D;
		ll = (&x - 1.96*sqrt(&x))/&D;
		lu = (&x + 1.96*sqrt(&x))/&D;
	end;
%mend;

data tempb;
set test;
%cipoiss2(obs,denominator);
run;

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@windlove wrote:

rate, ll, lu

Hi @windlove,

In the macro definition (%macro CIpoisson(...)...) these are names of macro parameters (i.e. macro variables). In the macro call (%CIpoisson(...)) these are text strings which happen to coincide with the parameter names (unlike obs vs. x and denominator vs. N) and which are passed as values to those macro variables and eventually used as names of DATA step variables in the DATA step code generated by the macro. Thus the user has the flexibility to choose arbitrary variable names, e.g., UCL for lu. This can be useful, for example, if there was already an existing variable named lu in dataset test so that hardcoding "lu" (instead of "&lu") in the macro code would cause a name conflict.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Maybe it would be less confusing if the macro call used the parameter names in the call.  One of the nice features of SAS macros is that you can always use the parameter names in the macro call, even for parameters that the macro has defined such that they can be called by position also.  

So your macro call:

%cipoiss(0.95,obs,denominator,1000, rate,ll,lu);

Could be re-written as 

%cipoiss
(cl=0.95
,x=obs
,n=denominator
,base=1000
,rate=rate
,ll=ll
,lu=lu
);

So now it is clearer that for the N parameter the user is passing in the variable name DENOMINATOR and for the RATE parameter the user is passing in the variable name RATE.

windlove
Fluorite | Level 6

OK. I understand now.

So they are just normal macro variables.

I think I just didn't expect that variable names in the left-hand side "=" should be changed through function arguments like this.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@windlove wrote:

OK. I understand now.

So they are just normal macro variables.

I think I just didn't expect that variable names in the left-hand side "=" should be changed through function arguments like this.

Modifying the SAS code that you want to run is the whole point of using the macro processor.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation