BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kevsma
Quartz | Level 8

Hello folks, I have been searching for answers to this but I can't find the best solution so far. I want to write a macro to loop through a lot of variables in a proc SQL join command. Below is my code with one of the variables in the dataset:

proc sql;
create table z1 as
select A.svscd, 
	   A.ufs_mo,
	   B.fym201703
	from Z A
	left join (select distinct svscd, fym201703 from Z where fym201703 ne .) B
	on 	A.svscd=B.svscd;
quit;

the variable "fym201703" is the one I need to create a loop so that the above code can be applied to all variables start with "fym" and it goes by month from 201703 to 202106. Therefore, I need to create multiple datasets like "z1" above for each of the fym variable I am looping through. I don't want to write down all the variables in the code, is there a way to handle this? Thanks a lot!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

UNTESTED CODE since we don't have your data sets

%macro dothis;
    %let startmonth=%sysevalf('01MAR2017'd);
    %let endmonth=%sysevalf('01JUN2021'd);
    %let month=&startmonth;
    %let month1=%sysfunc(putn(&month,yymm6.));
    %let incr=0;
    %do while(&month<=&endmonth);
         /* your sql goes here using variable &month1 instead of fym201703 */
         %let incr=%eval(&incr+1);
         %let month=%sysfunc(intnx(month,&month,&incr,b));
    %end;
%mend dothis;

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

UNTESTED CODE since we don't have your data sets

%macro dothis;
    %let startmonth=%sysevalf('01MAR2017'd);
    %let endmonth=%sysevalf('01JUN2021'd);
    %let month=&startmonth;
    %let incr=0;
    %do while(&month<=&endmonth);
         /* your sql goes here using variable &month1 instead of fym201703 */
         %let incr=%eval(&incr+1);
         %let month=%sysfunc(intnx(month,&month,&incr,b));
    %end;
%mend dothis;

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The code you posted is not creating the variable FYM201703, it is just referencing it.

I suspect that you meant that you need to macro code to calculate the NAME of the variable you want to reference.

To loop over dates use a %DO loop with an integer index and use INTNX() function to calculate the next date in the series.

So if you want to months from March 2017 to June 2021 then use a %DO loop like this:

%let start='01MAR2017'd;
%let end='01JUN2021'd;

proc sql;
%do offset=0 to %sysfunc(intck(month,&start,&end));
  %let varname=FYM%sysfunc(intnx(month,&start,&offset),YYMMN6.);

create table z&offset as
  select A.svscd
       , A.ufs_mo
       , B.&varname
 from Z A
 left join (select distinct svscd, &varname from Z where not missing(&varname)) B
   on A.svscd=B.svscd
;

%end;

quit;

If you only have the start and end dates in your YYYYMM 6 digit strings then use INPUTN() function to convert them into real dates to drive the INTCK() and INTNX() function calls.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Having variables named like "fym201703" looks like bad data-design, so i suggest to transpose the data moving the year/month information into a variable, because that's where it belongs. Then drop all obs with missing value and you will have a clear and easy to use dataset.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Agreeing with @andreas_lds as well. Although I posted macro code, the better approach is to have a smarter arrangement of your data (long, not wide), which then makes coding a lot simpler.

--
Paige Miller
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

What @andreas_lds said. This looks like a case for transposing first, so the "period" becomes data.

Please provide a portion of your dataset in usable form (as a data step with datalines), so we can see what your code is intended to do for a single variable.

In particular we need to know how many observations per svscd exist, and what values are possible in the fym... variables.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation