BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MargoBlue
Fluorite | Level 6

I will be grateful for the answer if it's possible to make below left joining without overwriting values in the last column (col5).

I have proc sql:

proc sql;

create table tab3 as

select a.id1, a.date1, a.col3, a.col4, b.col5

from tab1 a

left join tab_date b /*tab_date - views such as tab_201301, tab_201302,..., tab_202001 */

on a.id1 = b.id1 and a.date1=b.date1;

quit;

I have multiple (quite big) views, from which one I want to join col5. Each view has data for one month. for example: tab_201301 - there are records where column date1 = "31jan2013"d

First I thought about concatenate all views, create new table and make left join. But this table will be very large and I am afraid that it will not work.

I think to create macro:

%macro example(date_st, period);

%local i date_new;

%let date_new = %sysfunc(inputn(&date_st,yymmn6.));

%do i=0 %to %sysevalf(&period);

proc sql;

create table tab3 as

select a.id1, a.date1, a.col3, a.col4, b.col5

from tab1 a

left join

tab_%sysfunc(intnx(month,&date_new,&i),yymmn6.);

b;

on a.id1 = b.id1 and a.date1=b.date1;

quit;

%end;

%mend;

But it overwrites values in col5.

Is it possible to join views each one without concatenating them first?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Or better yet, stack all the views and then leave them in the long (rather than wide) form, and then you can do analyses using the a BY statement rather than having to code an analysis for col5_201301 and another for col5_201302 etc.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Since you are trying to do this in a loop, and the data set names follow some sort of regular pattern tab_%sysfunc(intnx(month,&date_new,&i),yymmn6.), you need to do the joins in your loop and rename col5 to col5_%sysfunc(intnx(month,&date_new,&i),yymmn6.), something like this:

select a.id1, a.date1, a.col3, a.col4, 
     b.col5 as col5_%sysfunc(intnx(month,&date_new,&i),yymmn6.)

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User
Stack all the data and then transpose them. Use a view for the stacking as well.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Or better yet, stack all the views and then leave them in the long (rather than wide) form, and then you can do analyses using the a BY statement rather than having to code an analysis for col5_201301 and another for col5_201302 etc.

--
Paige Miller
MargoBlue
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you, it works.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation