out=rf_&d._&j.
dbms=csv;
run;

%end;
%mend fileread_rf; 
%fileread_rf(ALG);
%fileread_rf(MAT);

Hi,

I am sure there are more problems in my macro but for now i am struggling with two of them. 

1. "filename indata pipe 'dir P:\Results\RFs\&d./b'"

I think this statement is wrong because when i run it I don't get the list of files in ALG or MAT folders.

2. num_files_&d._rf

I am also gettung error for this statement. ERROR: Symbolic variable name NUM_FILES_&D._RF must contain only letters, digits, and underscores

could you please help me to fix it?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The macro processor will ignore macro code that is embedded in strings bounded by single quotes. Use double quote characters instead.

filename indata pipe "dir P:\Results\RFs\&d. /b";

Do not use the ANCIENT function CALL SYMPUT().  The only time you should EVER use that is if it is REQUIRED that the generated macro variable has leading and/or trailing spaces in it.  Use the normal CALL SYMPUTX() function instead.  And do not try to use an & character in the name of the macro variable.

call symputx("num_files_&d._rf",_n_);
ballardw
Super User

You have an problem  the macro variable &d will not resolve inside single quotes.

filename indata pipe 'dir P:\Results\RFs\&d./b';

call symput ('num_files_&d._rf',_n_);

As previously suggested: Options Mprint and show the entire log when you get error messages. Copy the text from the log, open a text box on the forum and PASTE the text .

Instead of looping over dataset that way look at the CALL EXECUTE statement in the data set syntax.

Or write code statements to a program file and use %include to execute the statements.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In your previous thread, I and others specifically asked to see the log (all of it) after you turn on the option to debug macros. Please follow those instructions.

Your first question: you need double quotes, like this:

filename indata pipe "dir P:\Results\RFs\&d./b";

and

call symput ("num_files_&d._rf",_n_);

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Do all of the CSV files with similar names have the same structure?  Same set of variables in the same order.

If so then you can just read them all at once into ONE dataset.  This will eliminate your earlier problem where you were trying to modify the generated datasets.

Here is a sketch.

data rf_&d ;
  length fname filename $200;
  input "P:\Results\RFs\&d.\*" dsd truncover filename=fname;
  input @ ;
* Reset line counter and skip the header line ;
  if fname ne lag(fname) then do;
      number=0;
      delete ;
  end;
  filename = scan(fname,-1,'/\');
  number+1;
  input ..... ;
run;

Just complete the INPUT statement to read in the variables. Add a FORMAT statement if some of the variable need to have special formats attached to display properly, normally only needed for DATE, TIME or DATETIME values.

JOL
SAS Employee JOL
SAS Employee

First error is because your file path with the macro variable reference needs to be in double quotes.

1. filename indata pipe "dir P:\Results\RFs\&d./b";

Second error, looks like you are trying to create a single macro variable named NUM_FILES_&D._RF, based on your CALL SYMPUT  statement and that is not proper naming.  If you mean for the &D to resolve to create a macro variable NUM_FILES_ALG_RF, you must use double quotes on you CALL SYMPUT

2. call symput ("num_files_&d._rf",_n_);

AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

You could do this without PIPE or XCMD, in a platform agnostic way - see:  https://core.sasjs.io/mp__dirlist_8sas.html

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation