BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ICE1511
Calcite | Level 5

Hello -I am attempting to compare a large number of numeric and character across multiple datasets. I have coded the numeric portion, but am looking for a way to include both character and numeric variables. In my code below, the &list includes only numeric variables. I imagine I could use a compare function for character, but I'm not sure on the best route to take. Here is my code: 

OPTIONS MPRINT SYMBOLGEN    ;
%MACRO DO_ALL(dsin1, dsin2, LIST );

%LOCAL i VAR ;
 %DO i=1 %TO %SYSFUNC(COUNTW(&list,%str( )));
  %LET VAR=%SCAN(&LIST,&i,%str( ));

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE COMP_&VAR. 
AS SELECT DISTINCT
A.id,
A.&VAR AS &VAR._1,
B.&VAR AS &var._2,
(A.&VAR. - B.&VAR.) AS &VAR._DIFF
FROM  &dsin1.   A
INNER JOIN &dsin2.  B
ON A.id=B.id;
QUIT;

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE CNT_&VAR
AS SELECT
"&VAR" AS VARIABLE,
COUNT(&VAR._DIFF) AS TOTAL
FROM COMP_&VAR.
where &VAR._DIFF NE 0 ;
QUIT;
%end;
%mend do_all;

/**1st datasets for compare **/
%do_all(base,compare,
numeric_var1 numeric_var2 numeric_var3 numeric_var4 numeric_var5  ) ;
/**2nd datasets for compare **/
%do_all(base2,compare2,
numeric_var1 numeric_var2 numeric_var3 numeric_var4 numeric_var5  ) ;

I would like to include something like this for the character variables and possibly use a compare(with maybe conditionals to subset the type??)
 %do_all( base, compare, char1 char2 char3 char4   ) ;

2 REPLIES 2
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

welcome to the world of comparing differences.  Sometimes just using Proc compare works better for me that using a SQL statement for comparing.  Other times I use the X commands to do compares when I need to do that for SAS datasets I create a temporary text version of the SAS data and call FC for comparing.

One suggestion would be to get the process to work without macros for comparing the character strings.

then re-macro it after the process works for a few different type of compares. -- Steady as she goes --

Astounding
PROC Star

I would begin with:

case (when a.&var ne b.&var then cat(a.&var, '*' , b.&var else ' ') as &var._diff

There aren't a whole lot of rules when it comes to a character variable being different.  So this will capture the differences.

An important question to consider:  will there always be exactly 1 observation per ID in both data sets?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation