BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
shawn123
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi guys. I have a bug problem I cannot fix, this is my code. productname is a macro variable "a b c d" and sqlobs is 4 in my case. My logic is using macro do loop and %scan function to scan the product name each time and output the data using proc report step. But when I run the data, nothing comes out. I don't know why?

data order;
input ordernumber$ product$ qrt;
cards;
##1 a 1000
##2 b 200
##3 c 3000
##4 d 200
;
run;

proc sql;
select distinct product into: productname separated by ' '
from order;
run;

%macro report;
%do i=1 %to &sqlobs;%macro a; %mend a;
%Let name=%scan(productname,&i,' ');

proc print data=order;
var ordernumber qrt; 
where Product="&name";
title '&name';
run;

%end;
%mend;
%report;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

First thing is you are not %scanning the macro variable. When you use this code

You scan the literal text. To use the macro variable:

%Let name=%scan(&productname,&i,' ');

I have no idea what you intend with the

%macro a; %mend a;

but it is likely a poor idea. Recompiling macros inside another macro is one road to macro madness.

Your title will not render as desired because you have the macro variable inside single quotes in

title '&name';

Better practice would be to either place the Proc SQL inside the macro OR to make the Productname macro variable a parameter passed to the macro. Having macro variables appear in code without an obvious source can be difficult to debug later. And you don't actually need the SQLObs variable.

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&productname));

will count the number of space delimited words in &productname and use that as the limit.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Are there errors in the log?

Please put this command at the start of your program and then run it gain

options mprint symbolgen mlogic;

Then post the ENTIRE log, by clicking on the </> icon and paste the log as text into the window that appears. This maintains the formatting of the log and makes it much easier to read and understand . DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

First thing is you are not %scanning the macro variable. When you use this code

You scan the literal text. To use the macro variable:

%Let name=%scan(&productname,&i,' ');

I have no idea what you intend with the

%macro a; %mend a;

but it is likely a poor idea. Recompiling macros inside another macro is one road to macro madness.

Your title will not render as desired because you have the macro variable inside single quotes in

title '&name';

Better practice would be to either place the Proc SQL inside the macro OR to make the Productname macro variable a parameter passed to the macro. Having macro variables appear in code without an obvious source can be difficult to debug later. And you don't actually need the SQLObs variable.

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&productname));

will count the number of space delimited words in &productname and use that as the limit.

shawn123
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi ballardw, thank you so much for the quick reply.
Adding %macro a; %mend a; will let the SAS highlight the function for you. Easy to read. But thank you so much for the alternative way. Learn form this!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation