BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
luvscandy27
Quartz | Level 8

Hello everyone, 

I am working to improve my knowledge of macro usage. My question is, is it possible to perform the same data step on three different datasets at one time using a macro as opposed to writing out the data step three different times. I know I can combine the datasets and perform the data step only once but I would like to explore macro options. My sample data is as follows: 

data fruit_1;
length FRUIT $10.;
input FRUIT $ TOTAL;
datalines;
Orange 2
Grape 31
Strawberry 5
;
run;

data fruit_2;
length FRUIT $10.;
input FRUIT $ TOTAL;
datalines;
Cherry 20
Lemon 15
Pineapple 4
;
run;

data fruit_3;
length FRUIT $10.;
input FRUIT $ TOTAL;
datalines;
Apricot 12
Plum 5
Kiwi 16
;
run;

I would like to run a datastep like below on all of the above datasets without having to rewrite the datastep two additional times. 

data fruit_1;
set fruit_1;

if total ge 5 then OVER = 1;
else OVER = 0;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You have done the first step of macro writing, which is to create code that works for one situation without macros. Congratulations, most people don't do this step!

Then you insert macro language into this working code, which loops over all 3 data sets. In this case, the only thing that changes is the number after FRUIT_, so this is the only place that the loop will make changes.

%macro dothis;
  %do i=1 %to 3;
    data fruit_&i;
      set fruit_&i;

else OVER = 0;
    run;
  %end;
%mend;
%dothis

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You have done the first step of macro writing, which is to create code that works for one situation without macros. Congratulations, most people don't do this step!

Then you insert macro language into this working code, which loops over all 3 data sets. In this case, the only thing that changes is the number after FRUIT_, so this is the only place that the loop will make changes.

%macro dothis;
  %do i=1 %to 3;
    data fruit_&i;
      set fruit_&i;

else OVER = 0;
    run;
  %end;
%mend;
%dothis

--
Paige Miller
luvscandy27
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you so much!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation