BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
hopeverthino
Calcite | Level 5
Dear experts,

I am a MAC OS user of the SAS University Edition. I have a huge dataset with 8 variables and 89,600 rows. I need to conduct a nonparametric mixed model analysis with design of F1-LD-F3. When I entered the insufficient space error, I tried changing the work library into a different library (as follows), yet it didn't work; also, I tried to delete other datasets/codes/programs saved in the libraries/myfolders, not working either. I'm out of solutions. If you could advise me what to try the next, I'd really appreciate it. The change of work library code and mixed model codes are attached as follows for your information, as well as the error code and a sample of my data. Thanks again~

Change the library:

libname ABMDATA v9 '/folders/myfolders/';

optionsuser=ABMDATA;

Mixed Model Code:

proc mixed data=ABMDATA.RANKSUB method=mivque0 anovaf;

CLASS Countr_Type W_rs ProbSh_rs Time SUBJECT;

MODEL rank_Visits =Countr_Type|W_rs|ProbSh_rs|Time/CHISQ;

Repeated W_rs*ProbSh_rs*Time SUB=SUBJECT TYPE=UN GRP=Countr_Type;

LSMEANS Countr_Type*W_rs*ProbSh_rs*Time;

run;

Error Log:

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
73 libname ABMDATA v9 '/folders/myfolders/';
NOTE: Libref ABMDATA refers to the same physical library as USER.
NOTE: Libref ABMDATA was successfully assigned as follows:
Engine: V9
Physical Name: /folders/myfolders
74 options user=ABMDATA;
76 proc mixed data=ABMDATA.RANKSUB method=mivque0 anovaf;
77 CLASS Countr_Type W_rs ProbSh_rs Time SUBJECT;
78 MODEL rank_Visits = Countr_Type| W_rs| ProbSh_rs| Time/CHISQ;
79 Repeated W_rs*ProbSh_rs*Time / SUB=SUBJECT TYPE=UN GRP=Countr_Type;
80 LSMEANS Countr_Type*W_rs*ProbSh_rs*Time;
81 run;

ERROR: 
ERROR: File WORK.UTDATA.UTILITY is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: PROCEDURE MIXED used (Total process time):
real time 28.62 seconds
cpu time 20.60 seconds

83 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

A sample of my data:

RunsRegionCountr_TypeW_rsProbU_rsProbSh_rsTimeVisits
1SouthEuHpHdLrwLswLruLsuLrsLss10
1SouthEuHpHdLrwLswLruLsuLrsLss20
1SouthEuHpHdLrwLswLruLsuLrsLss30.08333333
1SouthEuHpHdLrwLswLruLsuLrsLss40.16666667
10 REPLIES 10
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The error

ERROR: File WORK.UTDATA.UTILITY is damaged. 
can point to a hardware issue with your disk. 
SAS wrote a utility file and could not read it successfully.
This is usually because the medium is damaged, or because SAS ran out of space when trying to write the file.
hopeverthino
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, Reeza, for the detailed recommendation of possible solutions. I checked your earlier recommendations regarding enhancing RAM for VM and redirecting the library. I tried both, e.g., enhancing RAM for VM into 5GB, the allowed maximum. Yet the insufficient space error keeps popping up. I also tried to uninstall VM and then reinstall VM and SAS all over again. Yet the error persists. Is there any chance you still have any alternative actions for me to try?
Also, my apologies as I found my data is actually 860,000 rows instead of 86,000 rows. Not sure whether that'd make a difference. 

Thanks again and looking forward to any further feedback you may have on this matter~

hopeverthino
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the feedback, ChrisNZ. Would there be anything that I can do to resolve this issue you mentioned?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

I do not see an "insufficient space error" in what you posted.

To resolve the damaged file error:

- Rerun the process just in case this was an unlucky one-off

- If not then make sure there is enough space on the disk. See @Reeza'a post about cleaning up.

Monitor how full your VM disk becomes.

- If the disk is never full, then do a scan for hardware defects of the disk.

- You could also try redirecting the utility files to another disk.

- You could also try turning off multi-threading to see if this reduces the use of utility files

hopeverthino
Calcite | Level 5

Many thanks for the detailed recommendations, ChrisNZ. My apologies as the error on insufficient space for WORK.UTDATA.UTILITY somehow was not pasted in the question. But this error was right before the error on the damaged file error.

I also tried your recommended list of possible fixes, including closing other tasks and cleaning up the VM memory with reinstallation, etc. Only not sure how to redirect the utility files to another disk as I'm using Mac Pro and it seems to have only one disk...

Not sure whether it is because the data is too long with almost 900,000 rows. Am seriously considering installing the SAS9.4 version in the VMware Fusion/Parallel. How likely do you think that'd resolve the issue? Thanks again for the valuable feedback and any further assistance you could offer~

Reeza
Super User
You shouldn't have any issues, and the work files are on the VM. The suggestionss I've posted will redirect your work library via setting up a USER library usually gets rid of space issues but even if the PROCs you're using are in memory, with 1 million rows and 5GB it shouldn't be a problem. Something else is the issue here. You can test this easily by using Academics on Demand instead (also free) to see if it works there or not. The RAM doesn't have a maximum limit, or if it does, it's based on your system limitations, not SAS UE. I usually use 2GB with no issue on a 16GB RAM + MacBook Pro.
luhawkyesag
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you so much for the detailed solution. Sorry that it took me so long to try it and respond. It still cannot be processed. And here attaches the report of errors. I guess it is just too huge for consider the levels of repeated factor to be analyzed. Thank you no matter what for the offering of possible solutions.

NOTE: There were 896282 observations read from the data set ABMDATA.RANK.
NOTE: The data set ABMDATA.SUB has 896282 observations and 10 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.65 seconds
user cpu time 0.42 seconds
system cpu time 0.07 seconds
memory 3721.75k
OS Memory 35008.00k
Timestamp 01/20/2019 03:26:30 AM
Step Count 226 Switch Count 5
Page Faults 0
Page Reclaims 644
Page Swaps 0
Voluntary Context Switches 2455
Involuntary Context Switches 77
Block Input Operations 126208
Block Output Operations 140552

247 proc print data=ABMDATA.SUB(obs=10);
248 title "ABMDATA.RANK WITH SUBJECT";
249 run;

NOTE: There were 10 observations read from the data set ABMDATA.SUB.
NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):
real time 0.04 seconds
user cpu time 0.04 seconds
system cpu time 0.01 seconds
memory 2056.96k
OS Memory 32680.00k
Timestamp 01/20/2019 03:26:30 AM
Step Count 227 Switch Count 1
Page Faults 0
Page Reclaims 289
Page Swaps 0
Voluntary Context Switches 14
Involuntary Context Switches 0
Block Input Operations 288
Block Output Operations 32

252 proc mixed data=ABMDATA.SUB method=mivque0 anovaf;
253 CLASS CT RSUW RSUP Time SUBJECT;
254 MODEL rank_Visits = CT| RSUW| RSUP| Time/CHISQ;
255 Repeated RSUW*RSUP*Time / SUB=SUBJECT TYPE=UN GRP=CT;
256 LSMEANS CT*RSUW*RSUP*Time;
257 run;

NOTE: 282 observations are not included because of missing values.
WARNING: ODS graphics with more than 5000 points have been suppressed. Use the PLOTS(MAXPOINTS= ) option in the PROC MIXED
statement to change or override the cutoff.
ERROR: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of insufficient memory.
NOTE: PROCEDURE MIXED used (Total process time):
real time 23:52.85
user cpu time 2:17.13
system cpu time 1:19.86
memory 1285181.90k
OS Memory 1317204.00k
Timestamp 01/20/2019 03:50:23 AM
Step Count 228 Switch Count 38
Page Faults 3
Page Reclaims 325189
Page Swaps 0
Voluntary Context Switches 157532
Involuntary Context Switches 240
Block Input Operations 151866504
Block Output Operations 343905064

260 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

Reeza
Super User
If your data is not confidential you can try and do it on SAS Academics on Demand. Or if you're a student many universities have access to the full version for free or a low price ($30).
luhawkyesag
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! Acturally I just tried on SAS academics on demand online and got the error message of insufficient memory... Thanks again for your instant feedback~ I wonder whether it'd may be because that my within-subject factor of Time has too many levels (>100) hence leads to the impossibility to calculate the three-factor interactions. 

Reeza
Super User

@hopeverthino wrote:
Dear experts,
I am a MAC OS user of the SAS University Edition. I have a huge dataset with 8 variables and 89,600 rows. I need to conduct a nonparametric mixed model analysis with design of F1-LD-F3. When I entered the insufficient space error, I tried changing the work library into a different library (as follows), yet it didn't work; also, I tried to delete other datasets/codes/programs saved in the libraries/myfolders, not working either. I'm out of solutions. If you could advise me what to try the next, I'd really appreciate it. The change of work library code and mixed model codes are attached as follows for your information, as well as the error code and a sample of my data. Thanks again~
That is not a huge data set by any standards and should be handled within SAS UE as long as your model is specified correctly. 

Have you worked with larger data sets and had SAS crash? If so, SAS UE does not do a good job of cleaning up after itself and cleaning it up after the fact is almost impossible. Sadly the easiest solution is to delete the VM and re-add it, essentially reinstalling it. For a data set of this size you shouldn't have issues. Otherwise, I've posted many times (including in last 24 hours) in the Analytics U forum of how to get around this and you can search there for my recommendations (user library and change RAM settings). DO NOT delete your my folders and then you can just reconnect to it. If you have anything in your auto exec ensure you copy those to re-run them as well. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation