BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
boyandhisrobot
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, All,

I'm looking to loop through a list of variables and create a table for each variable.  I'm getting some errors due to the scan function (I think?) and I was hoping somebody could point out where I'm going wrong. Here's my code:

%macro table_creator;
	proc sql;
		%do i=1 %to 33;

create table 
			%scan(&variables.,&i.)_tab
		as select distinct
			%scan(&variables.,&i.),
			sum(paid_amount) as paid_amount,
                        paid_date
		from 
			add_descriptions5
		group by 
			%scan(&variables.,&i.),paid_date;
	%end;
	quit;
%mend;

I'm receiving a series of notes stating that the tables were created, but then there's the following error:

___22             ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant,
a missing value, *, BTRIM, INPUT, PUT, SUBSTRING, USER.

after the %scan in my select statement.  and again after the %scan in my group by clause.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

Set options mprint.  Do the loop from 1 to 2, which will give you a good chance to see what is not working in the log.

You can also use the mfile option (and an mfile filename statement) to write the generated sas program text to a file.  Read that back and you'll find the unadulterated code.

I hesitate to endorse the %superq idea, unless there is something very pathological about the VARIABLE macrovar.  What does that macrovar look like?

I made a synthetic dataset and used your macro for I=1 to 2, and got no errors:

data add_descriptions5;
  set sashelp.class (rename=(height=paid_date weight=paid_amount));
run;

%let variables=age name sex;
options mprint;
%macro table_creator;
	proc sql;
		%do i=1 %to 2;

create table 
		as select distinct
			%scan(&variables.,&i.),
                        paid_date
		from 
			add_descriptions5
		group by 
	%end;
	quit;
%mend;
%table_creator;
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
boyandhisrobot
Calcite | Level 5

This query seems to run fine if I run it outside of a loop for just one variable.  There's something about the loop that is affecting my scan function.

proc sql; 
	create table %scan(&variables.,1)
	as select distinct 
			%scan(&variables.,1), 		
			paid_date
		from 
			add_descriptions5
		group by 
			%scan(&variables.,1),paid_date;
quit;

This seems to work fine.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

%macro table_creator;
	proc sql;
		%do i=1 %to 33;

create table 
			%scan(%superq(variables),&i.)_tab
		as select distinct
			%scan(%superq(variables),&i.),
                        paid_date
		from 
			add_descriptions5
		group by 
			%scan(%superq(variables),&i.),paid_date;
	%end;
	quit;
%mend;
boyandhisrobot
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

create table     %scan(&variables.,&i.)_tb   as select distinct    %scan(%superq(variables),&i.),
                                                                                                               _
                                                                                                               22
45       ! sum(paid_amount) as paid_amount,     paid_date   from
45       !    add_descriptions5   group
3                                                          The SAS System                          11:41 Wednesday, October 17, 2018

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, 

NOTE 137-205: Line generated by the invoked macro "table_creator".
45          by     %scan(%superq(variables),&i.),paid_date;
                                                _
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant, a datetime constant, 
              a missing value, BTRIM, INPUT, PUT, SUBSTRING, USER.  

NOTE: PROC SQL set option NOEXEC and will continue to check the syntax of statements.
45             create table     %scan(&variables.,&i.)_tb   as select distinct    %scan(%superq(variables),&i.),
                                                                                                               _
                                                                                                               22
45       ! sum(paid_amount) as paid_amount,    paid_date   from
45       !    add_descriptions5   group

45          by     %scan(%superq(variables),&i.),paid_date;
                                                _
              a missing value, BTRIM, INPUT, PUT, SUBSTRING, USER.  

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

did you make the change here?

create table     %scan(&variables.,&i.)_tb 

and try running

options mlogic mprint symbolgen;

boyandhisrobot
Calcite | Level 5

I did, yes.  Sorry.  The log seems to state that it is now creating 33 tables titled "_tb" prior to the same error occurring in the select statement.

Reeza
Super User
PROC MEANS would also do this in a single procedure, probably a bit more straightforward than a macro.
mkeintz
PROC Star

Set options mprint.  Do the loop from 1 to 2, which will give you a good chance to see what is not working in the log.

You can also use the mfile option (and an mfile filename statement) to write the generated sas program text to a file.  Read that back and you'll find the unadulterated code.

I hesitate to endorse the %superq idea, unless there is something very pathological about the VARIABLE macrovar.  What does that macrovar look like?

I made a synthetic dataset and used your macro for I=1 to 2, and got no errors:

data add_descriptions5;
  set sashelp.class (rename=(height=paid_date weight=paid_amount));
run;

%let variables=age name sex;
options mprint;
%macro table_creator;
	proc sql;
		%do i=1 %to 2;

create table 
		as select distinct
			%scan(&variables.,&i.),
                        paid_date
		from 
			add_descriptions5
		group by 
	%end;
	quit;
%mend;
%table_creator;
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

boyandhisrobot
Calcite | Level 5

This was helpful, thank you!  I was able to identify that the issue was with the macro variable and not the sql code.  Thank you very much!

ballardw
Super User

@boyandhisrobot wrote:

This was helpful, thank you!  I was able to identify that the issue was with the macro variable and not the sql code.  Thank you very much!

Fixed loop index, I= 1 to 33 may not actually match you created macro variable list of "words" that are found with %scan.

Did you find that &variables had fewer than 33 "words"?

To make code like that a bit more flexible %do I = 1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&variables.));

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation