BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sclaire
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

I am running a log binomial regression to predict relative risk of an outcome occurring (let's say Y, 0=absent, 1=present) based on a predictor (X with nominal categories 1, 2, 3, and 4). Most coding suggestions show how to do log binomial regression with a binomial predictor (not multicategorical predictor), but I want to compare RR of classes 2-4 to reference class 1. I tried the code below, but the mean estimates in the output don't entirely make sense based on my earlier ANVOA and odds ratio results. Any suggestsions?

TITLE 'UNADJUSTED X predicting Y';
proc genmod data = dataname;
CLASS X (ref="1" param=ref);
MODEL Y (event="1")= X/ dist = binomial link = log;
estimate 'Class 2' X 1/ exp;

estimate 'Class 3' X 2/ exp;

estimate 'Class 4' X 3/ exp;

run;

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I don't know what your concerns are about the mean estimates, you haven't given any specifics or details, other than they don't match the ANOVA (and I would NOT expect them to match).

In PROC GENMOD, you don't need ESTIMATE statements to compute means, the LSMEANS statement gets the job done, and produces the proper error estimates.

--
Paige Miller
sclaire
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the response! I am wondering if the end of my code (the estimate lines) will return what I am looking for, the RR of classes 2-4 compared to class 1 as the reference group. The reason I was unsure was because these results are not in the same direction as the ANOVA + OR. Class 1 has comparatively low % of the event occurring in the raw data yet the RR do not come out that way (even when I specify "descending").

That said, LSMEANS will give me the RR as well? Thanks again!

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

That depends. What does RR stand for?

LSMEANS will allow you to compare the means of the different groups.

--
Paige Miller
sclaire
Calcite | Level 5

Risk ratio (RR) instead of odds ratio (OR)

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

That said, LSMEANS will give me the RR as well? Thanks again!

While I do have plenty of other experience with PROC GENMOD, but I have never done a log binomial regression, I give you this brilliant answer: try it and see.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation