BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jacksonan123
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have the  following code which works well for a needle plot to which I added a Loess to connect certain points.  The Loess worked for 4 of the variables but I get an error message stating, "

ERROR: No LOESS fit produced for group 'PAUC03L' because all computed smoothing criterion values are invalid.
ERROR: No LOESS fit produced for group 'PAUC37L' because all computed smoothing criterion values are invalid."

The data is below and I have looked at it and can't figure out why SAS has an issue with the PAUC03L and PAUC37L data.

They both decrease as they should. 

title 'Confidence Interval Range Kfast';
proc sgplot data=boot2 ;
  /*highlow x=ratio low=low high=high / type=line;*/
 loess x=ratio y=LOWER_ci/interpolation=cubic group=block;
  highlow x=ratio low=lower_ci high=upper_ci / type=bar group=block   
          lineattrs=(color=black) name='a' attrid=Mono;
  yaxis label='CI range' grid;
  xaxis label='Ratio KaT/KaR' grid values =(0.5 to 2.1 by 0.1); 
      keylegend 'a' / location=inside position=TOP;
  run;

Can some one tell me what is wrong with the boot2 data for PAUC03L and PAUC37L for the Lower_CI?

GroupBlockUpper_CILower_CIRatio
1PAUC03L84800.62
1PAUC03L85810.63
1PAUC03L88850.7
1PAUC03L100990.8
1PAUC03U1081061.25
1PAUC03U1091061.3
1PAUC03U1131091.5
1PAUC03U1221152
1PAUC03U1251162.1
1PAUC37L1041020.62
1PAUC37L1041010.63
1PAUC37L1041000.7
1PAUC37L90880.8
1PAUC37U98961.25
1PAUC37U96951.3
1PAUC37U96931.5
1PAUC37U94892
1PAUC37U94892.1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have to admit, I am totally mystified by your comments. Your original code does not use the DEGREE= option, it does use the INTERPOLATION= option, which is what I responded to. And then you ignore the INTERPOLATION option in your reply.

Your original message talks about the lower confidence interval, even though the error messages don't talk about lower confidence intervals at all.

But anyway, the problem, as I implied, is that you have a very small amount of data to do some of this smoothing. Playing with the options won't overcome the fact that you have a very small amount of data.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Just a guess, but maybe you can't do cubic interpolation with just 4 data points.

--
Paige Miller
jacksonan123
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I tried to play with the options statement and when I do it plots the data
but now gives an error for the previous data. If I use degree 1 which
specifies the degree of the local polynomials to use for each local
regression. 1 specifies a linear fit and 2 specifies a quadratic fit. It
appears that I have a combination of linear for some data and cubic for the
other. The question is how to combine them other wise I may have to use
procgpanel and make separate graphs.

loess x=ratio y=LOWER_ci/interpolation=cubic group=block degree=2;
Reeza
Super User
Is that actually all of the data you have? You're trying to do a 2 degree polynomial regression with 4 points?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have to admit, I am totally mystified by your comments. Your original code does not use the DEGREE= option, it does use the INTERPOLATION= option, which is what I responded to. And then you ignore the INTERPOLATION option in your reply.

Your original message talks about the lower confidence interval, even though the error messages don't talk about lower confidence intervals at all.

But anyway, the problem, as I implied, is that you have a very small amount of data to do some of this smoothing. Playing with the options won't overcome the fact that you have a very small amount of data.

--
Paige Miller
jacksonan123
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I was just trying some other options. I would agree with you that a major issue is the amount of data that I have for a complex function.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation