BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, 

I'm new to SAS and just wanted to get a few concepts right, googling hasn't helped so far.

I run my codes on SAS EG which is connected to SASApp or SAS Metadata server.

Is SASApp a local or a remote server?

When I use winscp, I understand that the left hand side is the local machine and the right hand side is unix. On the right hand side I have a folder called sasuserhome and every user has their individual sasuserhome folders. Is this sasuserhome folder located on local or remote server?

And then there are the actual sasgrid folders that I understand are remote servers where all the production files usually go. How do I transfer files from the sasuserhome server to this sasgrid server? I tried using x cp command but that seems to be not working. Is proc export the way to go here?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8

Yeah so this is what I did, and looks like it works.

Just got into properties, under code submission selected use grid if available.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
34reqrwe
Quartz | Level 8

SASApp is remote . 

Sounds like your sasuserhome is remote . 

Before you start writing to where 'production files usually go' suggest you talk to your Unix administrators . 

If you are copying files you could theoretically do that within winscp if you had the correct permissions.

Or if copying SAS datasets  you could do that using a libname. Depends what you are trying to do . 

AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8

I was able to create the log file in sasuserhome location using 'proc printto log = [path of sasuserhome location]' command but now I need to make sure everyone else can access them, so I need to move them to the sasgrid location to which everyone has access. I tried x cp for doing that but that didn't work. Was wondering how can I make such transfers.?

I tried replacing the sasuserhome path with the sasgrid path in the 'proc printto log' command hoping the log files would directly be created in the sasgrid and I wouldn't have to transfer, but then no files were created at all.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@AJ_Brien wrote:

I was able to create the log file in sasuserhome location using 'proc printto log = [path of sasuserhome location]' command but now I need to make sure everyone else can access them, so I need to move them to the sasgrid location to which everyone has access. I tried x cp for doing that but that didn't work. Was wondering how can I make such transfers.?

I tried replacing the sasuserhome path with the sasgrid path in the 'proc printto log' command hoping the log files would directly be created in the sasgrid and I wouldn't have to transfer, but then no files were created at all.

"didn't work" means anything or nothing, please post the error message. To get a solution working in your environment you should talk to your it-staff.

AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8

I'm sorry, when I used x cp, then nothing happened.

I have raised a request to get IT support but this usually takes weeks (if they ever contact back), I really can't count on them for any help/ guidance.

Is there any specific question that you have that I can try answering that would help you help me? 🙂

AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8

Another thing I noticed, when I try to directly write into the file on the sas grid folder (the one that is accessed by everyone), I get the error: physical file does not exist. 

I even tried reading a dataset from that sas grid location and got the same error. However I can access that location through winscp. Is there anything specific I need to do to access that location through my SAS EG code?

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19
Maybe SASApp is not allowed to access the shared folder.
AJ_Brien
Quartz | Level 8

Yeah so this is what I did, and looks like it works.

Just got into properties, under code submission selected use grid if available.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation